Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Oil Recommendation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sewing-machine-oil-recommendation-t260077.html)

huskyquilter 01-21-2015 01:05 PM

Sewing Machine Oil Recommendation?

Hi All,

Got my hands on a Bernina Record 930 and I have been quilting away on it, and I think it definitely needs an oiling. Any recommendations on a particular oil to use or avoid? This is my first nice machine.

Thanks!

KenmoreGal2 01-21-2015 01:30 PM

I believe most people on this board like Tri-Flow brand oil. I purchased a bottle of Singer Sewing Machine oil at Walmart before I joined the board. I have a lot left so I keep using it and have not switched to Tri-Flow yet. I hope the Singer oil is adequate.

jlhmnj 01-21-2015 01:54 PM

I bought a quart of regular sewing machine oil for cleaning and oiling which has lasted for quite a while. The SM oil is essential for cleaning so you need it whether you go with Tri Flow or not. Never used Tri Flow and am sort of curious whether it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Jon

KenmoreRulesAll 01-21-2015 03:00 PM

I use the typical clear sewing machine oil often sold under the names 'White Diamond' or 'Lily White' or something similar. Don't use the amber-colored oil -- it's filled with solids that will dry and form a hard varnish that will cause problems in your machine, will discolor the exterior, and is difficult to remove. Modern sewing machine oil is formulated to dry quickly while being colorless and stainless.

J Miller 01-21-2015 04:17 PM

When I cleaned my wife's Bernina 930 I used Tri-Flow oil. Other than that use nothing but clear sewing machine oil.
Berninas are very complex machines so you don't want to use anything that will gum up the insides.

Joe

quiltedsunshine 01-21-2015 09:13 PM

Brewer sells a nice, clear sewing machine oil with a long, brass spout in a squeeze bottle. That's all I ever use.

SteveH 01-22-2015 10:19 AM

I buy sewing machine oil in quarts because our 241-12 has an oil pan and pump (yep, just like a car) between that and the fact that I use it as the first stage cleaning solution, I go through it fairly quick.

I use Tri-Flo exclusively for lubrication. (except for the 241)

Jeanette Frantz 01-22-2015 04:51 PM

I've been working on a Minnesota Model A for my cousin. When we first got it, the hand wheel/balance wheel would not turn. I put a couple of drops of TriFlow on it and in about 15 minutes, it was moving again! I have previously used the Singer oil and don't have a problem with it.

Jeanette

HelenAnn 01-22-2015 11:34 PM

I use triflow when I bring a "new" machine home. Weather the wheel turns freely or not all oil ports get some triflow. Once I have them clean and running smoothly I will use clear sewing machine oil. For cleaning the head I use sewing machine oil first.

chris_quilts 01-23-2015 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 7057850)
I bought a quart of regular sewing machine oil for cleaning and oiling which has lasted for quite a while. The SM oil is essential for cleaning so you need it whether you go with Tri Flow or not. Never used Tri Flow and am sort of curious whether it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Jon

Jon; It has been the bomb with the squeaky van doors and the one kitchen door. Yes, I love it for sewing machines too but it's better than any other lubricant/oil we tried on our van doors.