Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Petting Zoo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sewing-machine-petting-zoo-t254746.html)

miriam 10-04-2014 05:00 AM

Sewing Machine Petting Zoo

If you were to go to a sewing machine petting zoo, what vintage (not antique and not plastic) sewing machines would you expect or want to see? How would you put it all together? Anybody ever done anything like that?

ThayerRags 10-04-2014 05:23 AM

Up most of the night again Miriam? (Me too)

I wouldn’t be looking for “soft & fuzzy” like most petting zoos. I’d be looking for the “muscled-up, beefy-looking” specimens that appeared like they could getter-done without a whimper. Sleek lines would be ok, but I’d spend my time petting the chunky ones. Not necessarily the ones that used to work in a factory, but the ones that tend to intimidate the meek sewists just because they appear to be complex or “serious”. I wouldn’t give much attention to the fancy-looking ones. I like the good solid plain-no-frills ones, no matter the age.

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 10-04-2014 05:44 AM

Nope, CD. (I love your answer) I wasn't up most of the night. I've been asked to do one in a couple weeks. They also want a class on how to maintain your sewing machine.

ThayerRags 10-04-2014 05:50 AM

What age group? What sewing experience group?

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: Historical or practical use?

quilt938 10-04-2014 06:29 AM

hmm this is far people familiar with vintage sewing machines rookies? Im asking because being totally rookie I recognized the singer featherweight and the singer fashion mate (237?) because my mom had that one. I pretty much had it in my head that old sewing machines looked like those or the singer 99,66,201,15 -91 types(and honestly those all looked the same)
since hanging out here and hearing about other machines I'd like to see some more or less in order with singer, Kenmore, those cool -colored morse machines, bernina record machines, elna grasshopper....ones that seem popular now.

J Miller 10-04-2014 07:02 AM

I like 'em all up to the 70s. I think I'd bring some really old, and a few from each era including some of the White made machines that turn backwards. A shuttle machine and even a couple clones. Maybe some of the more complicated ones like my Alden with the gazillion built in patterns and stitches.

A bit of everything I guess.

Joe

wilburness 10-04-2014 08:13 AM

a handcrank so I could try it out. a singer with beautiful decals. one with all kinds of knobs and chrome. colorful ones. when I see one of these, I usually have to touch and feel. thats what I would look for. a shuttle bobbin. ok ok I confess, I have to touch any machine I see. LOL

Rodney 10-04-2014 09:08 AM

I agree with Wilburness. I plan on doing something similar next summer at the fair with Olivia's 4H group. A few for display to show at least some of the evolution of the sewing machine and a few handcranks for kids to make things on.

What's the age group of your class? I'm assuming adults. In that case, a couple of the more modern types that they're more likely to be familiar with for demonstrating cleaning and maintenance. Maybe a couple really nasty ones for them to practice on, you'll have a head start on them that way :) (who says you can't get some free labor?) and they will see that the machines are still salvageable even in a bad state.
I'd also bring a couple older ones. There's a good chance a couple of them have Grandma's old black Singer and they're wondering what to do with it. I'd bring a White so they can see how the old Whites work totally backwards from most machines. If you have the room, a treadle would be a good idea. That way they can see just how easy and effective treadle machines really are.
I'd show them problems that they're likely to encounter like what tension problems look like and how to fix them if you have the time.
Fill the rest out with some that are just fun like a couple good dashboard machines from the 50s.
I think it's a great idea for you to do this. You stand a good chance of making a few converts and saving a few old machines from being scrap. If you have any, bring some business cards. You might get a couple sales out of it.
Maybe the class is something you can start charging a small admission fee on. There are a lot of people who would prefer to fix simple things themselves instead of dealing with the time, trouble and expense of taking their machine in for repair.
You do have a truck to haul all this right? ;)
Rodney

miriam 10-04-2014 11:03 AM

Rodney, you have given it a lot of thought! I have only a couple weeks so I'm having to think fast and get things ready. I think I won't take anything like a 301 with an expensive bobbin case that could walk.

Rodney 10-04-2014 11:28 AM

I've been thinking about what I want to exhibit at Olivia's 4H display at the fair. What you're doing is similar.
I want more than a random display of machines, there needs to be a theme to them so I want to show a quick overview from early to modern with the handcranks for the kids. I need to ask to see if Olivia gets any kind of points from 4H for it too.

I almost would bring a featherweight or 301 just because they're so popular. There's a good chance someone in your class will have one. It's too bad we have to worry about theft, but it is a real issue.

Maybe ask your class to bring in their machines and you only bring in one or two to demo. That might be a good direction too and a lot easier on your back. Plus you can answer questions specific to their machines.

I expect your class will be a huge success. There aren't too many people out there showing what to do with these machines.
Rodney