Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sews Thru Leather Like a Butter..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sews-thru-leather-like-butter-t246874.html)

singerguy 05-16-2014 12:24 AM

Sews Thru Leather Like a Butter.....

1 Attachment(s)
i have a treadle singer 127 and just for fun i tried sewing thru my scrap leather (double) and my 127 sews thru it like a butter. sorry guys for my post but i am just in awed and so amazed.

manicmike 05-16-2014 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 6718174)
i have a treadle singer 127 and just for fun i tried sewing thru my scrap leather (double) and my 127 sews thru it like a butter. sorry guys for my post but i am just in awed and so amazed.

Having nearly 3,000 messages in your inbox is more surprising, Singerguy :D

singerguy 05-16-2014 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6718175)
Having nearly 3,000 messages in your inbox is more surprising, Singerguy :D

darn. ha, ha, ha - i didn't even notice that. hmmm time to hit delete button. my thumb will be sored for awhile..... thanks. :)

QuiltMom2 05-16-2014 05:32 AM

Wow! That's one heavy duty sewing machine!

SteveH 05-16-2014 08:09 AM

This serves to illustrate a difference in manufacturing/sales mentality.

The idea then was to produce the best machine you could for the price and stand behind it accordingly.
Now the concept is to make it just sufficient to the task and charge as much as you can.

I was on a tour of a laptop factory in Singapore once and was privileged to hold and try out a new design. It was amazing, the quality and construction were light-years ahead of any laptop on the market. These days I would have said that this thing was made like an old Singer... I was about to tell them that I wanted to get in line to buy one when they let me know that this was the concept and layout model. it would never see the light of day. it was about to go through a 6 month process of evaluating every component and determining the life expectancy, then "correcting" any portions that had a life expectancy greater than +10% beyond the warranty! They were literally removing "excess quality"

singerguy 05-16-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 (Post 6718500)
Wow! That's one heavy duty sewing machine!

yes it is. now i know what to use for leather sewing if ever i need to. didn't expect my 127 to handle this one. but it did....they do make awesome machine in the old days....the good old days.

quiltingcandy 05-16-2014 10:03 AM

My great grandmother was a professional seamstress, she used a Singer machine (no idea what the model is) and my grandmother didn't sew unless it was absolutely necessary. So when my grandmother moved into the "family" house when she retired, there were 2 treadles in the house and she moved the Singer out to the shop. (My uncle used to repair guns and radios so built the shop on the property.) I asked my grandmother why the Singer wasn't in the house, because the other treadle (a Damascus) they used as a vanity in one of the upstairs bedroom and she told me the man across the street would come over from time to time to use the Singer to repair leather straps and belts and she preferred to have him out in the shop than upstairs in a bedroom. Many years later I took the treadle that was upstairs because it still had the manual from 1925, and we brought the Singer back into the house and turned it into a vanity. My aunt doesn't sew - she owns the house now - the man across the street passed many years ago.

amcatanzaro 05-16-2014 04:29 PM

I love stories! Good story!

miriam 05-16-2014 04:34 PM

I have a Singer 15-30 wow - it sews anything, too.

Rodney 05-16-2014 04:43 PM

I haven't attempted leather on my old machines yet. It would be nice to every now and then.
Rodney