Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   She runs! (Willcox & Gibbs Automatic Chain Stitch) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/she-runs-willcox-gibbs-automatic-chain-stitch-t203985.html)

Kittywolf13 10-22-2012 04:36 PM

She runs! (Willcox & Gibbs Automatic Chain Stitch)

2 Attachment(s)
Today i was feeling pretty low for some unknown reason so when i got home from work, i decided to work on my Willcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine. I've had the belt for a while now but no one to help me out with it, so i decided i was just going to do it myself. i've done everything else till now mostly on my own... so whats the difference now? So i set out to measure the belt, cut it to length, punch a hole (i never thought that leather was so tough. guess im kind of glad it is!) and then re-watched that lovely video on youtube where she shows how to thread her up... needed to change the needle. the original needle was so worn that the hole was filled in and nearly at the tip, threaded her up and took a test stitch! after a little pushing, at first she didnt want to chain... but then once she caught on... i guess she needed to remember after being dormant, she was off like a gazelle!

This is what the top of a 116 year old chain stitch looks like!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371782[/ATTACH]

and the bottom!! <3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371783[/ATTACH]

I'm so stupidly excited! and i did it all by myself! (well mostly had to have dad help me feed the staple. it wouldn't budge for me!) and the belt is a little loose so it needs adjusting... i need to seek out some violin rosin to give that a whirl, but i cant wait to actually try sewing something on her!! :D its amazing how something like this can change my mood around! I really do love the feel of something so old... its so soothing. its wonderful!! I'm in love all over again with my little Eleanor!

momto5 10-22-2012 05:17 PM

She is pretty! And that's a good-looking stitch! Sew on, my dear...sew on!

JudyTheSewer 10-22-2012 05:35 PM

How exciting! Congratulations!

Kittywolf13 10-22-2012 05:43 PM

Thank you sew much! I just had to share my excitement!

DanofNJ 10-22-2012 06:11 PM

EXCELLENT. That is a really nice stitch and a gift to own such a machine. Enjoy

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-22-2012 07:11 PM

Oh my, that is a great video and what a beautiful machine! The stitches look great, what a lucky duck you are! ;)

Kittywolf13 10-22-2012 07:12 PM

it really is a gift to own a machine like this! i really love it!! <3

pinkCastleDH 10-23-2012 02:21 AM

It's not silly at all to be so excited. You've been waiting, after all.

Nice looking stitches and it does seem to run beautifully.

Kittywolf13 10-23-2012 04:02 AM

I keep thinking its silly to " love" a machine but man that's the only description for the feeling I have. Other then over killing cool and awesome!

Caroline S 10-23-2012 07:26 AM

I am loving Eleanor also. Good job Kitty:thumbup:. Want one now, but no room, LOL. If I find one, well, some other machine may have to go to another home.