Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Should I Buy This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/should-i-buy-t225955.html)

brunswickgirl 07-16-2013 02:24 PM

Should I Buy This?

3 Attachment(s)
Attached are pics of a Model 27-4 dated 1905.

it has been in the same family all this time and in a climate controlled environment. She is asking $300 for the machine and cabinet. I think that that is a little high was thinking of offering $150.00, it is a local pick up do no shipping charges.

I am asking for your advise because I am fairly new to collecting, have only bought 7 since March!!! Everytime my hubby leaves town, now that I am mostly retired, I go out to estate sales, have been having a Blast.

Anyway what do you think? I am really struggling with this because I have been looking for this machine for about a year and this is the best looking one I have found for the age. It is one that I plan to keep and use and it is the same model I learned to sew on, so I have some emotion involved that may be clouding my reality.

Thank you in advance for any input.

oneday 07-16-2013 02:57 PM

No way I'd even go $125 at $75 I'd still hum n haw

reason is someone did a hack refinish to make a sale.. I can see where they sloped finish on the hinges, so it was not taken apart to refinish, you have to guess there is loose veneer, it had shroll work on the drawer faces, I can see the impressions of those, again guessing it WAS a two or three drawer ( each side ) , they did a short cut and just cut off those drawers....

It looks like they started cleaning the head and found the gold coming off, then quite, it was very very dirty and still is... front plate is missing. looks like the shuttle is there maybe one bobbin...

Bottom line, they want top price, it has NOT been restored, for 300 you can buy a fully restore machine, cabinet and base. face it at 300 it should be a take home N sew, not take home N finish the job before you sew

I know it looks good to the eye ( age ol antigue shop pee trick)

ask your self, why doesn't it have a belt in place ??? @ $300

SteveH 07-16-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by oneday (Post 6180995)
reason is someone did a hack refinish to make a sale.. I can see where they sloped finish on the hinges, so it was not taken apart to refinish, you have to guess there is loose veneer, it had shroll work on the drawer faces, I can see the impressions of those, again guessing it WAS a two or three drawer ( each side ) , they did a short cut and just cut off those drawers....It looks like they started cleaning the head and found the gold coming off, then quite, it was very very dirty and still is... front plate is missing. looks like the shuttle is there maybe one bobbin...

Not sure I agree with this assessment.... at all.

My .02

It DOES look like the decals are in great shape and with some loving from a clean cloth and sewing machine oil, it would really clean up nice. The parts where they look dark is actually "mung" that well clean up if careful and leave the decals just fine.

These drawers more than likely never had carvings on the face, this looks like the older style that was smooth (on purpose)

One drawer on each side is quite typical for this model.

I would agree that $100-$150 is more appropriate price wise.

I'd say if YOU like it and it makes YOU happy, go for it!

We'll be here to help.

Steve

frudemoo 07-16-2013 03:29 PM

As Steve said, there are some plain cabinets like this - you can find PDF versions of the original brochures online.
I have the same machine head in a slightly more ornate 4 drawer cabinet from 1896. I have not since seen one with decals in such good condition from that time period, although I'm in Australia.

I agree that I wouldn't pay $300. I saw a pristine model 15 with flawless sphynx decals and the seller wanted $250 and I thought that was way too much (I offered him $150.)

I was able to buy my not so flawless treadle for $102 from someone who just used it for display in their lounge room, so it was well kept. The decals are 90% there which I thought was good for it's age and the price. The cabinet is beautiful.

Maybe you could say you're interested in the machine head but really unsure about the cabinet... say you COULD be interested but hem and haw about it being so plain etc etc...? See if that helps get the price down. Good luck!

brunswickgirl 07-16-2013 03:47 PM

Thank you for your help with this. I am going to offer her $150.00 and see what happens. I agree that the cabinet model is correct for the machine, this is based on info from

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...able_no_1.html

Steve, what is Mung? Just buildup?

Thank you Again

Linda

oneday 07-16-2013 04:00 PM

hey antique rd show wouldn't hire me, because of my truthful assessments, I am hard on assessing these, but I've been at this for over 40 yrs

agreed, the head isn't to bad. the cabinet did have stamped skroll work on the drawer and center drawer, stains from the glue still show

jlhmnj 07-16-2013 04:03 PM

Hi,

Figure the most your willing to spend and do some hard bargaining. At $300, I don't think it will be going anyplace for a while. Hunting sewing machine is addictive. Good Luck.

Jon

mlmack 07-16-2013 04:24 PM

Finish slopped on the hinges? Glue residue from missing scroll work?

Guess I need to go to the eye doctor, because I see none of that.

oneday 07-16-2013 04:32 PM

blow up the photo take another look

SteveH 07-16-2013 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=brunswickgirl;6181061]Steve, what is Mung? Just buildup?/QUOTE]

Yeah, old oil and hand sweat and dirt and dust and......

Here is a White Model A with and without mung...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424310[/ATTACH]