Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Should I keep the 201? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/should-i-keep-201-a-t250639.html)

diamondee 07-23-2014 09:29 AM

Should I keep the 201?

I am going to give a sewing machine to my daughters friend. I just bought a Singer 201 not pretty but it is good mechanically. I'm wondering if I should keep the 201 for piecing and give her my older Necchi.

ArizonaKAT 07-23-2014 11:37 AM

201s are my favorite. I can't pass one up. I have 4. Keep it. Give her the Necchi :-). Unless you have more than one. I gave my DD and GD a 201.

singerguy 07-23-2014 12:22 PM

201 is one of the best sewing machines singer have built. If it's me I will keep the 201. To me there's no special feature of necchi or it is not special enough to keep. Just me.

Mitch's mom 07-23-2014 01:13 PM

What model Necchi? 201's are not rare. If you want one, wait for a nicer example to come along. Pass on the not so nice one to the friend.

Mrs. SewNSew 07-23-2014 01:37 PM

I agree that 201's are not all that rare where Necchi's are -at least in my area. Of course it would also matter which model Necchi is was for me. I am still watching for a Supernova! I would probably let her have the 201 and watch for another.

Craftnut 07-23-2014 01:39 PM

If they both are good sewing machines, give her the one that will be the least trouble to a new sewing beginner. In other words, the easier to thread, and the easier to maintain. Encourage a budding sewist to enjoy her new craft, and not be frustrated by a cranky machine.

Rodney 07-23-2014 02:43 PM

What kind of sewing does her friend want to do? Zigzag machines are probably better for clothing due to being better suited for sewing knits and being able to sew a zigzag stitch on seam allowances to prevent fraying while the 201 would most likely be the better quilting machine. I love straight stitch machines for piecing.
Rodney

diamondee 07-24-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 6814541)
What model Necchi? 201's are not rare. If you want one, wait for a nicer example to come along. Pass on the not so nice one to the friend.

I will have to go look at Necchi now. It's not in a cabinet as I didn't have to room for one LOL I might just have to drag it out of hiding and let her decide as the 201 has a cabinet and I do not know if the Necchi will fit. It's so hard letting go, but she will be learning to quilt with the new to her machine. :)
Thank You all who replied.

bearisgray 07-24-2014 08:03 AM

It would probably be better to give the newer sewer the machine that had the fewest things to go wrong and easiest to learn how to operate.

Nothing more frustrating to a beginner than to have things not work properly and not a clue as to how to fix them.
(Which is where I am at with computers!)

Do either of them have a manual or instruction book(let)?

Mrs. SewNSew 07-24-2014 09:19 AM

I am not sure what models but have read that some of the Necchi sewing machines will not fit on Singer lollipop hinges so double check that too!