Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Should I keep it or sell it, not sure! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/should-i-keep-sell-not-sure-t104217.html)

deedum 03-01-2011 06:35 PM

I have a 99k Singer in cabinet, I bought it last year. Poor thing hadn't been cleaned in years, just begged me to take it home! So I did, my dh cleaned her up and oiled her. He fixed anything that was broken or loose! She shines now, the only thing is I haven't sewn with her. I have a Singer 15 that is a real champ and two Janomes that I use all the time and a 301 on the way! I need a reason or two just to keep her, I don't want to be sorry!

stpatmom 03-01-2011 06:38 PM

reason #1 - you're a collector!

Stitchnripper 03-01-2011 06:40 PM

I think I would keep her if I had the room, even if I didn't use her.

deedum 03-01-2011 06:50 PM

I have room to keep her,she threads really diffrent from the singer 15. The old singers are such tanks. I don't want to be hasty and sorry.

Annaquilts 03-01-2011 06:58 PM

Well it is a pitty you don't live in Socal else I would give you a reason to sell it to me. I would keep it. In the long run you will not regret it.

Lostn51 03-01-2011 06:59 PM

The cabinet is worth more than the machine so I would keep it. The 99 is a 3/4 machine as you know already but it is a really popular machine, especially in the portable form. I have one I made into a handcrank and even though I have never used it I will never part with it. If you have room for the machine and cabinet hang onto it and it will do nothing but go up in value.

Billy

deedum 03-01-2011 07:09 PM

Thanks Bily! The cabinet is nothing special really! The machine is a beauty. I really don't know anything about the 99. She is small so that makes so much sense, that she is 3/4. I don't think her feed dogs drop like the 15. I just know the old machines sew so nice and a person can maintain them without having to haul them in each year like my janome. Took a month to get it back from just a cleaning. I will post a pic shortly!

deedum 03-01-2011 07:14 PM

Are the old machines going up in value, because people realize the quality? Is the standard price $25.00 still for an old avg machine? Seems like such little value in such a wonderful machine. Ok, I will keep her! I am sure once I start sewing on her I will be glad I did. My SR is full imagine that. My dh doesn't seem to mind her being in his den :)

Although, he is starting to call me a "hoarder", but I may need to remind him I am apparently a "collector"! :-D

LucyInTheSky 03-01-2011 07:19 PM

I would probably sell it. I've recently purged my house of things I don't use. The big motivation being that if you have ___ and it's just taking up space, you can give it away/sell it/etc and let someone else enjoy it. For ex, my grandmother's chairs. I have 2, and they were just sitting in my quilting room, not doing anything, not getting used, and taking up space. I felt like I had to hang onto them b/c they were my grandma's, but I wasn't really doing anything for her memory to just ignore them, so they're on the sell list. I like the idea of keeping things in my house that I actively and/or regularly use, rather than keeping stuff just in case, ya know?

kidmenot43 03-01-2011 09:48 PM

I have recently seen one of these beauties and I agree with you on keeping it. The value is priceless. I am personally thinking about getting an older singer model as they are very nice for the quilting aspect. Thank you for sharing this priceless work of art.