Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Should I Order Two Needle Clamp Assemblies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/should-i-order-two-needle-clamp-assemblies-t244590.html)

zozee 04-05-2014 03:42 PM

Should I Order Two Needle Clamp Assemblies?

My daughter's boyfriend came to the rescue today by figuring out which screw was missing from my Singer 15 91. It's the needle clamp screw. I knew I had dropped a little screw when putting the thing back together after cleaning it, but couldn't find it ANYWHERE nor remember exactly where it had come from. (I'm new to vintage and this machine is my first , and I'm not overly mechanical, so help was needed.)

I looked online and didn't see a way to order just the needle clamp screw. Sew Classic has the whole assembly for 5.75. My DD's BF advised that I order two sets to have as replacement parts for the other parts of the assembly as well.

What do you think? Or is there a needle clamp screw available out there that I'm not seeing?

miriam 04-06-2014 03:02 AM

Ask Jenny of sew-classic if she has needle clamp screws - at the top of her page there is a contact place. To keep from loosing the little rascals, I have been learning to work over a sheet magnet (formerly a magnetic truck sign) & have a strip magnet on my bench, too. It catches most of the time. I also use some magnets to keep screws and parts together as I work. I still lose screws. I lost one off a 1907 Singer 15 the other day - I did find it eventually - sigh of relief.

Cogito 04-06-2014 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6662033)
I still lose screws. I lost one off a 1907 Singer 15 the other day - I did find it eventually - sigh of relief.

so glad you have no more loose screws Miriam! :D

miriam 04-06-2014 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito (Post 6662108)
so glad you have no more loose screws Miriam! :D

ROTFLMBO yeah right

Rodney 04-06-2014 06:47 AM

If you don't have the sheet magnet an old towel helps catch dropped screws too.
Rodney

J Miller 04-06-2014 07:23 AM

If you are like me, you'll buy a replacement assembly, put it one then later find your missing screw.

So, buy two if you want, they are inexpensive, but also buy one of those plastic boxes with the dividers and keep all your extra parts in that. Then when you do find the errant screw, you can put it back in the original needle clamp and put it back on the machine.

Joe

Caroline S 04-06-2014 09:38 AM

One cannot have too many spare parts. I agree buy two.

amcatanzaro 04-06-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6662361)
If you are like me, you'll buy a replacement assembly, put it one then later find your missing screw.

So, buy two if you want, they are inexpensive, but also buy one of those plastic boxes with the dividers and keep all your extra parts in that. Then when you do find the errant screw, you can put it back in the original needle clamp and put it back on the machine.

Joe

Plastic pin boxes work too. I love those suckers.