Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sigh -- why do I buy from eBay? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sigh-why-do-i-buy-ebay-t254350.html)

iadhikari 09-25-2014 07:42 PM

Sigh -- why do I buy from eBay?

My 301s arrived this week, one yesterday and one today. I'm reminded of why I should be more skeptical about eBay. Both machines worked great according to their listings, and I can't get the hand wheels to turn all the way on either of them! I'm going to oil and add lubricant but beyond that, I'm a novice. Should I take it to my local repair guy who charges me $45 for a tune-up if oil and lubricant don't solve the issue? 😢
Ila

Nammie to 7 09-25-2014 08:07 PM

Sorry you are running into problems! I prefer not to buy online because I just don't trust what I'm going to get and many times a person doesn't have any resources to resolve the problem.

singerguy 09-25-2014 08:36 PM

In most cases, oiling it will do the trick. Let the oil sit overnight and see how it goes.

meganc731 09-25-2014 09:04 PM

Hi Ila!

I hardly know anything about vintage machine's, but I picked up a Necchi BU Mira and they are apparently very picky about being oiled. Well mine had sat unused for 10 years but had worked up until then. The needle was in the down position and I couldn't turn the balance wheel at all. I started oiling it Friday, by evening I was able to turn the wheel enough to remove the needle. I added more oil and went beyond where the manual showed to oil it. The next day it was turning but still stiff. I oiled and turned wheel at the same time. Finally Sunday (think it was Sunday, might have been Monday) it was moving really easily!! I tried it with the motor and it worked for the first time, but after a minute of running it seized up and when I turned the wheel it was smooth then stiff. I let it sit over night and it did the same thing the next day. I decided to oil it one more time and today it worked!! I'd say clean it really well and then oil it and see what happens. But keeping checking back on it :)

jlhmnj 09-25-2014 10:37 PM

Ebay is convenient but lack of service on items that are supposed to work is one of it's problems, also bad shipping. I'd contact the seller and perhaps they can help out on your problems or if ignorant offer a partial refund for a servicing. Get ebay involved if the seller is not helpful. Oiling and cleaning sounds like a good idea.

Jon

liking quilting 09-26-2014 02:23 AM

Bought both of my 301's thru e-bay and didn't have a problem. Sorry to hear of your trouble but I'm very hopeful for the oil to do the trick for you. Don't give up! Those are wonderful machines.

Rodney 09-26-2014 02:49 AM

Check for thread jams in the bobbin area too. If you didn't get a manual you can download one at Singerco.com
http://www.singerco.com/support/inst...manuals/search

Definitely do contact the sellers and Ebay, maybe before you make any changes like oiling the machines. If they said they work(work means you can actually sew with it) and they don't then the seller either wasn't truthful or to give them the benefit of the doubt they were damaged in shipping. Either way it's on the seller to make it right.
When I buy something like a sewing machine online it's always with the assumption that it doesn't work and I pay accordingly.
I'm very sorry you got burned and I hope it works out. Please keep us posted.
Rodney

miriam 09-26-2014 03:00 AM

REMINDER: Those 301s thread right to left and needle goes flat side toward the needle bar or away from the machine. When you set the needle, it has to have the curve side next to the hook.

Mrs. SewNSew 09-26-2014 05:25 AM

I'm so sorry you are dissappointed. I buy like Rodney, always assuming trouble ahead even if the seller says "working". I've too much experience at this point and understand that "working" means something very different to everyone from actually sews to I can move a part.

I would check first the needle is in correctly, the bobbincase is seated properly and there are no thread jams. If that doesn't solve the problem contact the seller.

From there I would tell you it's time to stop being a novice. :D It's fun and very rewarding to learn how to get these wonderful machines up and running. 301's are definitely worth it too. I hope it's something simple but we are here to help if you have to go a little deeper.

Sewnoma 09-26-2014 06:39 AM

Yep, I got burned on a machine from eBay too. "Works great"...noticed right away that when I spun the hand wheel it felt really weird. Plugged it in and pressed the pedal and all that happened was a horrible grinding racket. Nothing moved, and it sounded like a garbage disposal full of rocks. "Works great"....yah as a door stop.

Then I got burned again on the same machine...took it in for repair, was told it was done. Asked about why it was so inexpensive, they just shrugged. Brought it home and foolishly didn't test it. Months later my main machine is in the shop (different shop); plug in the ebay machine...still grinding. Apparently I paid $150 for them to lube a broken machine. Couldn't find my paperwork either. At that point I just gave up. That machine is now a "decoration". *grmph*