Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 128 Bobbin Winding Problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-128-bobbin-winding-problem-t187938.html)

greywuuf 05-04-2012 09:06 AM

Surfer , take a look at my album, there should only be two, one goes behind the tooth wheel, and the other goes on the mount, I find it hard to beleive that they are missing, I just swapped mine for each other, and that was enough to keep it from working. I think that yours is just in the wron place. you know when you flip the mechanism into place.....the bolt that it pivots on... thats the other pace a washer goes. check to make sure you dont have what you need all ready.

greywuuf 05-04-2012 09:29 AM

I guess I should mention that my "tooth wheel" is a little persnickity. It is best adjusted by turning the ecentric screw (axle I have been calling it) untill the wheel teeth do not make contact with the drive worm (screw threads on the drive tire shaft) then snug up the lock nut so you can just turn the screw.... And slowly turn the screw untill the tooth wheel just makes contact. Spin the tire (a lot.....one complete revolution of the heart shaped cam) and see if there is any binding, my wheel does not seem to be perfectly round (or the teeth are deformed) and it has a few tight spots as it turns...... It is important to get this "gear mesh" just right......Ie you can not just run the axle screw in tight and call it good. In fact the axle screw only threads into the lock nut on the back..... Turning it only adjusts the tooth wheel closer to or farther from the worm gear. Get a strong light on the subject and look at what moves and how when you adjust that screw and I think you can solve your problem.

If we don't get it by the time I get home, I am considering doing a video on the adjustment.

We will solve this, it is just to neat a machine to be spoiled by this :)

Surfergirl 05-04-2012 09:49 AM

Thank you, Dan...we would love to get this machine working. It sews really well...it's just the bobbin winding mechanism that's giving us a problem now.

greywuuf 05-04-2012 09:54 AM

Did what I was saying about adjusting the mesh of the tooth wheel and the worm make sense?

Surfergirl 05-04-2012 09:55 AM

Yes, I understood exactly what you were saying.

Surfergirl 05-04-2012 11:59 AM

Dan, we only have the thin cupped washer that goes behind the toothed wheel. The thicker cupped washer is missing from between the pulley guard and the movable tire unit. My husband had to soak this in oil in order to be able to take it apart. We will have to search for a suitable washer for this area.

greywuuf 05-04-2012 12:11 PM

hmmm, with out the washer mine would not stay engaged ( well I had the thin washer there) but that should not lock it up. I might suggest a couple of thickness's of washers cut from a plastic milk jug, tthey are kinda slick and will prevent metal to metal contact and provide some friction to keep it in place. also maybe the thick washer got put in the other place ..... maybe move the one washer you have and see if that area works.... because when i used the thick washer behind the tooth wheel it kept the shoulder of the axle from seating and ould allow it to lock up.

I am just guessing now. but it is something to try.

redmadder 05-05-2012 04:18 AM

Fascinating.

Latrinka 05-05-2012 01:58 PM

Good Luck!

Surfergirl 05-15-2012 06:40 AM

Dan, I haven't been able to find a washer suitable for the 128 bobbin winder, so I purchased another 128 machine that was in pretty bad condition. I took the bobbin winding mechanism off and put it on my better machine and it worked really good. I'm still not giving up on the other one yet. Thank you for all your help and for the photos. I'll let you know if I get this to finally work.

Lynn