Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 128 extension table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-128-extension-table-t242904.html)

soman2 03-10-2014 07:32 AM

Singer 128 extension table

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Since my sister recently introduced me to quilting, and collecting vintage and antique sewing machines, it is logical to use the machines from time to time. I like my Spartans, but I decided to use my 1951 centennial 128 w/bentwood case. The 128 was made the year my wife was born and it has a neat little blue badge marking the 100 yr. anniversary. I saw a need for an extension table and headed out to the shop this weekend and with some 6/4 SYP boards (recycled) crafted the needed extension. I needed to wait for the stain to dry and I will topcoat the table with WB poly spar varnish to make sure that no stain gets transferred to my fabric while sewing. Overall I am pleased how it turned out. The project on the back wall is my second attempt at quilting. It's made from 90% recycled fabric thanks to my sister who is an avid quilter and is my technical advisor. I am now practicing making and sewing triangles using the scant seam allowance. All comments/criticism welcomed and appreciated. Hope you enjoy chow for now.

Rodney 03-10-2014 08:08 AM

Very nice! Your extension table easily takes care of the one issue I have with portable machines: Not enough flat workspace around the machine. IIRC some portables came with a small extension table that kind of hooked onto the left side of the case.
I like the way you incorporated salvaged materials into your projects. I use mostly salvaged wood in my woodworking. I hate to see good stuff just go to waste.
Nice job on the quilt too.
Rodney

KLO 03-10-2014 11:21 AM

I love your extension table. It looks like it goes well with the machine case. I usually prefer to sew with one so my husband made me two, one for each of my old Singers. I keep them stored in their own pillowcase when not in use but I want to make a padded case so they don't get scratched up in storage.

And the quilt ..... what a great use of scrap fabrics! What a talented guy you are .... quilting and woodwork. Wish I could do woodwork like my Dad and husband but I don't think my husband would like me using his tools (some of which were my Dad's) especially since I don't know how to use them. I need to keep all my fingers attached for quilting!

Monroe 03-10-2014 09:12 PM

Great idea! Be careful- many of the clear poly finishes eventually turn yellow (think old knotty pine paneling). I'd put up a small room full of natural pine beadboard walls and over 2 years the walls yellowed- except where furniture obscured the light. Looked like a nuclear blast shadow! Moved the furniture every few months till all the walls evened out- into the old orangish pine look I was trying to avoid. I'm sure folks here know more about wood finishes than I do.

soman2 03-11-2014 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 6620111)
Great idea! Be careful- many of the clear poly finishes eventually turn yellow (think old knotty pine paneling). I'd put up a small room full of natural pine beadboard walls and over 2 years the walls yellowed- except where furniture obscured the light. Looked like a nuclear blast shadow! Moved the furniture every few months till all the walls evened out- into the old orangish pine look I was trying to avoid. I'm sure folks here know more about wood finishes than I do.

I use rustoleum water base exterior poly spar varnish. I found it at my local Lowe's. A quart sells for about $12 and all Lowe's do not carry it. I use it on my whirligigs and have 2 birds and a bumble bee outdoors for over a year. I use it on all my woodworking projects and it comes in gloss and satin finish. I use a hair dryer to speed up the process and can put 3 to 4 coats on in a couple hours. Soap and water cleanup-best stuff since sliced bread-lol.

Rodney

Ponchatoula, La.

Rodney 03-11-2014 09:34 AM

Any of the oil-based clear finishes will have a yellow cast to them and will darken with age, some more than others. Sorry about the paneling. As far as I know, the water based finishes don't yellow like that.
Rodney

soman2 03-11-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6621078)
Any of the oil-based clear finishes will have a yellow cast to them and will darken with age, some more than others. Sorry about the paneling. As far as I know, the water based finishes don't yellow like that.
Rodney

Rodney,

I have used the WB spar varnish as listed" for marine use" hence the spar varnish nomenclature, and have had no change of clarity on any of my wood projects. Several have been exposed to all 4 seasons of weather and the finish is still holding up. I made a hummingbird whirligig with multiple colors covered with 3 coats of the poly and the colors look as good as the day I painted it. I will use it on all my vintage restorations. It's good stuff and environmentally friendly.

Rodney
Ponchatoula,La.

cricket_iscute 03-11-2014 06:48 PM

Soman2, I love, love, love your extension table. It is very handsome and useful, and matches the machine base. It looks to me like you made the table just a bit shorter (less tall) than the machine so you could use the slide plate without removing the extension table. Is that correct?

I have similar extension tables, but in red oak, and my sewing room furniture is all in red oak. I designed it; hubby built it. I also have that same machine, BTW, but don't use it a lot. Does yours have a crinkle finish?

Your quilt looks good. You got everything lined up correctly. Ever thought about learning to quilt it yourself?

Cricket

Rodney 03-11-2014 07:01 PM

Spar varnish is good stuff. Used for it's intended purpose, it needs to be good. IIRC, Spar varnishes are formulated for a little extra flexibility to handle shrinking and swelling of wood that's out in the weather and I think they may have UV inhibitors added as well.
Rodney

Carol34446 03-12-2014 01:09 PM

That is really beautiful, looks like it was made at the same time and high quality work.