Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-a-t303668.html)

misseva 03-18-2019 08:26 AM

Singer 15-91

Is $80 a good price if it's in good running condition? Seller says it was manufactured in 1948,

leonf 03-18-2019 09:24 AM

Good solid machine. Price is always variable. How does it look? How far ro you have to travel for it? is it in a case or cabinet that you like? Will it need re-wired? ( many do) If it gets away will you kick yourself? Location also is a factor.It would have to be very nice for me to want to pay that...but I am cheap and have too many.

quiltingcandy 03-18-2019 10:15 AM

A 15-91 for sale here in San Diego is in a cabinet and has the matching stool they are asking $150.00. I absolutely love my 15-91. It is from 1949 or 1950 - still haven't checked it out. It belonged to my mother, it was a wedding present from her parents and my parents got married in May 1950. I was very tempted to buy the one for sale because I do not have the stool that came with my machine, but wasn't sure what I would do with the new machine. I have a hard time letting go of machines that I acquire. To me it is worth it and if I did not have mine, I would gladly pay the $150.00.

Friar_Tuck 03-18-2019 10:43 AM

I think Leon hit the nail on the head with the question, "If it gets away will you kick yourself?"
I got a 15-91 in a cabinet for $5, but I had to drive 150 miles to get it. if it would have been next door I would have gladly paid much more. $80 seems to be mid range for what I have seen lately, so for me it would be the condition, especially the wires going into the potted motor that would make up my mind.

Painiacs 03-18-2019 03:36 PM

I paid 75 for mine on eBay years ago and it's all I use!!! If in good condition I'd get it but love mine!!!

luvstoquilt 03-19-2019 05:39 AM

Quiltingcandy, you make me laugh. I can’t get rid of anything to do with sewing! I love my old machines and they all have names. How can I let go of a “family member”?lol

bkay 03-19-2019 06:26 AM

I think I paid less $50.00 for my second one. I bought it at auction and did not go for a preview. I wanted the 65 cabinet, as it was light oak. Turns out that the cabinet was trash, but the machine was perfect.

However, my mom's 15-91 needs to be rewired. It was in storage for several years and the wiring between the plug and the motor is semi-melted. I've not yet gotten up the nerve to tackle it. Be sure to check that, as I think the wiring is do-able for a novice, but not easy, unless you are really handy with a screwdriver.

All that to say, I don't believe I'd pay $80.00 for a machine if it needed rewiring. Unless you have a case or cabinet you like, consider the time, effort and cost to repair the cabinet or find a replacement.

I believe you can find a 15-91 in good condition and in a serviceable cabinet for $150.00 or less, at least around here. If your $80.00 machine meets your criteria, is in good condition and has a decent cabinet, jump on it.

jmho

bkay

edit: Rewiring the original plug from the machine to the wall is a piece of cake. You can also buy replacements.

Mickey2 03-19-2019 02:45 PM

I payed $80 for a 201 (K-3), it needed lots of cleaning, oiling and a few spare parts; spool pin, motor belt,... 80$ for a clean 15-91 in working condition is a good offer. Bargain machines often need a bit of work, easily a few hours, and waiting for parts in the mail. I have never regretted spending a bit of time and money on the 201 I bought, it has become my favorite machine. Fancy cabinets can add to the price.

Jo Anne B. 03-20-2019 07:07 AM

I paid $80 for both of my 1951 15-91 and a 1952- 201-2 both came in cabinets with manuals. Both machines were in what I would consider above average-excellent condition in working and aesthetics.(I'm no expert) One cabinet had some rough spots, the 201 came with every attachment possible. Very happy with my machines, they will out live me with proper care.