Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-a-t312276.html)

sandrab64 08-27-2020 12:20 PM

Singer 15-91

2 Attachment(s)
Looking at an extremely nice singer 15-91 AG503220 (1945) for $150. Yes or no? I know nothing more about it. Appreciate quick reply. Thanks!

leonf 08-27-2020 12:32 PM

Nice machine, but too high of a price in Topeka KS

leonf 08-27-2020 12:39 PM

if you go to look at it ,take thread and a swatch to check it out.

Some like those because of direct gear drive and no belts

Chaz_Hoosier 08-27-2020 04:35 PM

I think that's pretty fair, considering it's in good condition and comes with a desk. It's on the high side, but not outrageously so if you need a good, solid machine.

oldmanquilts 08-27-2020 04:43 PM

It depends on your perspective, and the reason for purchasing. For a collector (who are an extremely cheap bunch) the price is "too high."

Buying it for sewing? You can't find a much better stitcher for piecing. If you consider what a new junk $300 Singer sells for, it's a bargain. I have one I rescued from Goodwill a couple years back for $29.00. $150 isn't anywhere close to what it's worth. $300 won't pry it from my hands either. You be the judge.

quiltingcandy 08-27-2020 07:09 PM

I have the one I learned to sew on in 1962. It belonged to my mother, it was a wedding present from her parents in 1950. When my parents asked me the one thing I wanted them to leave me - it was that sewing machine. It works better than my other machines that are so much newer. The cabinet your's is sitting in looks wonderful and I would think that is well worth the money. Leon is right - as it is pricey for the 15-91, but a lot of them are pretty worn, and this one appears to be in wonderful shape. And like oldmanquilts I wouldn't take any amount of money for mine. (I do have the button hole attachment, the zig zag attachment, and a thing they call an embroidery attachment. I also got the walking foot.)

JoeJr 08-28-2020 06:55 AM

I know I'm late to this discussion, based on the request for quick replies, but $150 sounds like a lot. Would a 15-91 have been sold in a treadle table without the treadle metal?. If you're using it for sewing, I wouldn't pay that. If you're wanting to display it in your living room, maybe, because the table appears to be in nice condition.
Interestingly I saw a news piece last night about a Ugandan refugee camp in which a young girl was using what looked to be a 15 in a treadle table; I would guess it doesn't get a lot of maintenance. The news story was interesting in itself but I will admit I was distracted by the machine.

Farmhousesewer 08-28-2020 08:24 AM

I am on digest, so always late! Although I am in Tennessee, either machines never come up that have both nice cabinets and machines, they are outrageously priced, or I drive FAR! I would pay $150. I have paid $100 for far worst machine combos. Depends what you can afford, what is around in your area and what they are going for. In my case I have even paid a price because I liked the seller or they got my heart ( needed the $)
Hope all of these opinions, gives you food for thought!

I just got back from Indiana to pick up an Industrial and 2 treadles from another collector in Kentucky on the way back. Now you can judge my level of commitment to this crazy addiction!

bkay 08-28-2020 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr (Post 8413557)
I know I'm late to this discussion, based on the request for quick replies, but $150 sounds like a lot. Would a 15-91 have been sold in a treadle table without the treadle metal?. If you're using it for sewing, I wouldn't pay that. If you're wanting to display it in your living room, maybe, because the table appears to be in nice condition.
Interestingly I saw a news piece last night about a Ugandan refugee camp in which a young girl was using what looked to be a 15 in a treadle table; I would guess it doesn't get a lot of maintenance. The news story was interesting in itself but I will admit I was distracted by the machine.

Joe, that's not a treadle table. It's a not too common regular Singer sewing machine cabinet from around 1950.

bkay

JoeJr 08-28-2020 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8413619)
Joe, that's not a treadle table. It's a not too common regular Singer sewing machine cabinet from around 1950.

bkay

Thanks for the clarification! Once again I learned something new.