Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 all of a sudden sewing badly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-all-sudden-sewing-badly-t311226.html)

Brayjj 06-02-2020 07:22 PM

Singer 15-91 all of a sudden sewing badly

My singer 15-91 was a dream. The most perfect straight stitch ever. We used it to sew 100 masks for donation and now all of a sudden it’s not sewing well and the straight stitch looks a mess. I just wanna cry. I bought her about a month ago to make masks. We’ve not changed or messed with anything. She’s just not sewing well anymore. We changed the needle and played around with the tension and can’t get it right. Any suggestions at all?? Using high quality thread. Nothing changed. It just started to sew badly. She is newly rewired as well, just an FYI.

thanks in advance!

quiltingcandy 06-02-2020 08:14 PM

When that happens to my machine it means either I have put the bobbin going the wrong direction, or the needle is in backwards, it needs a new needle, or it is not thread properly. Do you have the manual?

Have you cleaned out the bobbin area? You might have a thread stuck in there. It amazes me how a thread would cause so much problem. One more things the thread you are using is the old way - it winds around the pool? Or is is like a cone and it should come off from the top? If it is that is the case - I had to use a thread stand - put it behind the machine and put the thread thru a hole in the bobbin so the thread will follow the correct path. (Hope that makes sense.)

Brayjj 06-03-2020 08:15 AM

Thanks. I’ve tried all those suggestions. Still the same. I just really don’t understand what happened.

leonf 06-03-2020 11:04 AM

have you changed bobbins?

Hooligan 06-03-2020 03:52 PM

After a 100 masks the machine will need a good a clean is all. If using these machines continuous then they appreciate a bit more regular oiling and brushing out the lint underneath. The only other thing you may have to do is reset the bobbin tension after cleaning as sometimes it will get slightly knocked off if you continue to try and ram/pull the material trying to free the mess. Regular maintenance during use will keep it tip-top for ya https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/thumbup.png

ps: my source - own & use a 15-91 daily and have done 100's of masks so far for donations, so i tend to work the machine to it's limits ;)

Hooligan 06-03-2020 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8390247)
It amazes me how a thread would cause so much problem..

From personal experience, not so much with a 15-91....however....the featherweights can be real picky with a strand of thread locked up in the bobbin mech in comparison.

leonf 06-04-2020 06:32 AM

yes Hooligan. FW are really picky aobut thread in the bobbin area and a areal pain to clean out.

Love your 15 Avatar.

NZquilter 06-04-2020 07:24 AM

When you say "not sewing well" do you mean the thread is shredding or breaking or are there bird's nests of thread underneath? Or is it not feeding the fabric?

You said you have changed the needle. Did you put it with the flat side of the needle towards the left? When you changed the bobbin, did it follow the correct path? Also when you rethread the top thread, make sure not to miss any steps. I've had thread go wonky on me because the top thread has jumped out of a spot.

I use my Singer 15-91 all the time. It is a great mechanical machine and I have learned that most problems are solved very easily and just take a bit of thinking. It like a good oil, like every eight hours of sewing.

Hooligan 06-04-2020 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8390553)
yes Hooligan. FW are really picky aobut thread in the bobbin area and a areal pain to clean out.

Love your 15 Avatar.

Took possession of a featherweight this year and been fun getting to know it. Expensive here in Canada to restore but worth every penny to keep another oldie going.

About the avatar, much thanks (personal daily user she is). If you have a personal machine you'd like as a graphic then feel free to send a pic my way....gives me a reason to open Illustrator ;)
Still have to secure a handcrank for myself here, one day one may pop up locally.

Brayjj 06-06-2020 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hooligan (Post 8390451)
After a 100 masks the machine will need a good a clean is all. If using these machines continuous then they appreciate a bit more regular oiling and brushing out the lint underneath. The only other thing you may have to do is reset the bobbin tension after cleaning as sometimes it will get slightly knocked off if you continue to try and ram/pull the material trying to free the mess. Regular maintenance during use will keep it tip-top for ya https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/thumbup.png

ps: my source - own & use a 15-91 daily and have done 100's of masks so far for donations, so i tend to work the machine to it's limits ;)

Thanks. I've gotten it a little better but now I'm getting an occasionally turned stitch from the bobbin side. It's still not quite straight. A little zag to it. Hubby says it has to go if I don't figure it out soon.
Any other ideas?