Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 and FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-fmq-t295290.html)

bltennyson 03-06-2018 07:37 AM

Singer 15-91 and FMQ

I just got a 1953 15-91 can I use this for FMQ? tension issues? Or should I used a newer machine.......just got it used HV 870Q? Can you tell me about your experience FMQ on a 15-91? Thanks!

Brittany (O:

leonf 03-06-2018 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never used it for FMQ, but it can be done. The screw circled in yellow will let you drop the feed dogs.

Hopefully your machine is in much better shape.[ATTACH=CONFIG]590315[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 03-06-2018 09:12 AM

Welcome to the board! I actually bought my 15-91 specifically for FMQ. So far I have FMQed two quilts on it and didn't have any problems. I have been quilting for about 10 years now and I always dreaded shoving quilts through tiny throat spaces on my newer Wal-Mart/ Costco Brother machine. With the 15-91 I loved the whole quilting proccess. I used a 90/14 universal needle, nothing fancy, and set my top tension around 7. I had my bottom tension around the 1 o'clock position. I used 30wt thread and 100% polyester batting. The pressure on the presser foot is adjustable too. Of course yours may be different depending on what loft and fiber content of batting you use. I love my 15-91 and will never quilt again with out it.

bltennyson 03-06-2018 09:21 AM

Wow! Thank you! I did figure out how to lower feed dogs but they were a little stiff. NZ - WOW! That post was amazing ......so detailed I LOVE IT! I will make sure i purchase some needles. My tension knob isn't quite right.......I made the mistake of taking it apart and now I think it is messed up so I will have to go at it again LOL I guess I just have to play with it but I will for use all your suggestions. I am so very excited..........my 15-91 is named Marie after my grandma......when I was little I always got in trouble at her house for playing on her singer treadle machine LOL <3 Marie has a knee control and that has been a learning curve as well LOL You all are just wonderful thank you so much! <3

leonf 03-06-2018 09:42 AM

Kansas Hospitality. Hehe. Lubricants are always a good thing.

elnan 03-07-2018 11:01 AM

I believe that the blog "Freemotion by the river" has information about her quilting with a 15-91. It is a great blog with excellent information.

I thought I had posted this here last night, but I have a bad habit of typing in all this information that I want to share; then leaving the website without clicking the correct button.

Cari-in-Oly 03-07-2018 05:50 PM

I agree with everything NZQuilter says except for the universal needles. Universal needles were invented to be used on all fabrics so they're not quite sharp but not ball point either. To me that makes them universally good for nothing. Use a sharp needle for quilting and other woven fabrics.

Cari

NZquilter 03-07-2018 05:57 PM

I'll have to try some sharps then. Thanks Cari! I did try some topstitch needles because everyone says they work better with FMQ, but I found the eye of the needle too big. The thread kept getting looped around the needle. So I just grabbed my universal needles and the issue was fixed. Never even thought about sharps!

csharp 03-07-2018 06:07 PM

I use my 15-91 for FMQ also. Feed dogs dropped and I leave them that way and use other machines to piece with. It seems to handle curves pretty well...just have to play with it and see what works for you. Good luck.

Cari-in-Oly 03-07-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8017705)
I'll have to try some sharps then. Thanks Cari! I did try some topstitch needles because everyone says they work better with FMQ, but I found the eye of the needle too big. The thread kept getting looped around the needle. So I just grabbed my universal needles and the issue was fixed. Never even thought about sharps!

I like top stitch needles for heavier threads and/or decorative stitching but for most of my sewing and machine embroidery I just use a plain ol' regular sharp needle. Also, the experts tell me I'm wrong but I use a size 11 for most anything but real heavy fabrics like denim and such. Half the time I even quilt with an 11 on my domestics because I forget to change to a bigger needle. I only remember to go to a bigger needle if I get a thread break or skipped stitches.

Cari