Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 185J "Green Bean" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-185j-green-bean-t264021.html)

MFord 04-14-2015 05:33 PM

Singer 185J "Green Bean"

3 Attachment(s)
Since I don't have "Pink Pearl" yet to play with, I decided to look at a little machine I picked up at the Tri-Cities Quilt Show last month. The previous owner kindly cleaned and oiled it, so I really didn't have anything to fix. Except....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516943[/ATTACH]First, here's what she looks like from the front. Very cool 50's - 60's green.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516944[/ATTACH]Here's the problem - it looks like something chewed on her case and spit out the pieces. All the little places the machine sits on have been broken off, so she wallows like a boat with a hole in it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516945[/ATTACH]Despite that, she sews very nicely and makes a good stitch. Not a piece of plastic on her, barring the case!

Actually, it looks like she was dropped on a hard surface with quite a lot of force, cracking up the case but leaving the lovely metal intact. The top of the case is fine, so I will be looking for a replacement bottom, then I think I'll take her to Linus one day soon!

NewGuy 04-14-2015 05:57 PM

I really like the looks of the 185J. Nice machine.
I "thought" I saw one on local craigslist a few days ago until a closer look at the photo showed it was a 285, maybe a 285J.
Research on the 285 and 285J showed that they were noisy and had the distinction of being, in the authors opinion, one of the worst machines that Singer had ever produced. Supposedly it was all due to the way the feed linkage was put together.

So, I didn't get my 185 and I learned that there are "similar" looking ones out there to watch out for.

In Eastern Tennesse we don't have a lot of machines to choose from. I understand it's that way lots of places.

Your machine is beautiful despite her case problems. I would have brought her home myself and been happy about it.

Good job on "saving" another one.

MFord 04-14-2015 07:29 PM

I just read about the differences between the 185 and the 285 - the newer type linkage was supposed to be an improvement since the 185 was almost exactly the same as the 99, except for the "cool" new paint color! I worked on a 99k recently and sure enough, it's the same machine.

Have you looked at Goodwill Online? You can sometimes get a decent machine there, but check out the shipping cost before you bid!

Cari-in-Oly 04-15-2015 10:32 AM

Those plastic pieces in the case are the known downfall of this machine. I've read of a few fixes but the one that I remember is little pieces of wood glued in place of the plastic.

ShopGoodwill Middle Tennessee very often has cool vintage machines.

Cari

NewGuy 04-15-2015 01:42 PM

I'm getting ready to go on a business trip for a few months. Probably wind up spending part of in Japan and/or Korea.
I know, I'm going on a trip and don't know for sure where I'm going. It's a lifestyle adjustment for sure but sometimes produces intresting results and I get paid an okay amount. I just keep thinking, "Maybe I can find a few "collectibles" to bring home with me." I suppose I'd have to dispose of some of my personal items and pack any finds in some serious luggage in order to get it safely home.

I've heard several negative things about GW packaging of sewing machines for shipment.
Nashville is a bit far for me to travel, unless I could find a nice FW for $20.
That sounds like an immediate justification for a road trip.
A 185 not so much that I'd really want to do that much of a drive.
Someday, I'll find some nice ones here. Law of averages says it has to happen eventually.

Allen

MFord 04-15-2015 01:48 PM

I think my DH will build a base for me. Wonder if he can make it so that the plastic top will latch on. Good thing I'm getting a lot of yard work done this week!

Allen - the machines will come in time. Probably more of them than you need, in fact! I hope you have a great time in Asia- so many wonderful places to visit!

carol40965 04-15-2015 05:25 PM

I picked up a nice one in a cabinet at Habitat for Humana for $35.00.

MFord 04-15-2015 05:29 PM

Good price, Carol! Mine was $45 with the broken case-the money went to a good cause, though.

Cari-in-Oly 04-15-2015 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=NewGuy;7165872]
I've heard several negative things about GW packaging of sewing machines for shipment.

It depends on the individual GW. My experiences have been - Eugene OR packs horrible, Hillsboro OR packs fairly well and Tacoma WA packs machines well enough to survive a bomb blast.

Cari

NewGuy 04-15-2015 09:00 PM

I can't believe that I did it.
All this talk about 185J's and I finally give in and go to eBay.
Just to look. "I had no intention of buying anything dear, but they were just there begging me to buy them."
Yes, them. One seller had a 185J that she said works great and looked really good to me.
Plus a parts machine that she "thinks works" the light is missing one piece.
For "Buy it now" $30 for both...
And $38.00 for shipping for both of them.

So, I go from can't find one anywhere at a price that I'm willing to pay, to owning two of them for <$70.

Now, I'm not allowing myself to go to eBay for anyreason until, well I don't know when.

It's not may fault. No, really it's not. I don't have a problem.

Allen