Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 185J serial number? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-185j-serial-number-t183333.html)

parrynj 03-19-2012 08:08 AM

Singer 185J serial number?

Hi - I am usually a lurker but I am so excited I just had to share plus ask a couple questions. I just picked up a singer 185J from our local thrift store. I bought it for the color but also wanted it to work. The plastic case is in good shape except for a lot of dirt (any suggestions on how to clean it?). The machine itself looks like it was barely used. Sews beautifully and needs little cleaning (although I will go over it and oil, etc). My question is where do I find the serial number and how do I get it out of the base? I'm afraid I may crack the plastic if I try before I know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help!

Nancy

quilt addict 03-19-2012 09:28 AM

I am not sure how to get it out of the plastic base. Is is screwed in from the bottom?

To clean, I would first try a Dawn dish soap solution on the plastic case first. If that doesn't do it may try something more powerful like simple green or 409. But I would do a test first with those.

Congratulations on your find and we love to see pictures.

fluffygirl 03-19-2012 09:34 AM

Hi Nancy,

If it is like my 185J, there is a big wing-nut on the bottom of the base. You just unscrew that and the base should come off. Be careful, the plastic on these is about 50 years old now. Hopefully your base is still in good shape and has all the supporting fins intact. The serial number is stamped into the underside of the machine, I think on the end near the slide-plate, can't remember for sure.

Happy sewing!
Pat

Briarberry 03-19-2012 10:45 AM

Congratulations on your find, I also have a 185J and the serial number is stamped on the bottom of the machine. Funny, the case for mine is wooden not plastic. I have seen the plastic ones but my case looks exactly like my Singer 99K case. Maybe it is because mine was made in Canada? Anyway enjoy it, they sew a wonderful straight seam.

parrynj 03-19-2012 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for all the info and suggestions...I was able to find the serial number (it was born in 1961) and clean the case. The case cleaned up beautifully and the plastic is in pretty good shape for it's age. I think if I end up using it much that I'll try to find a wooden base to put it in. I am going to try to post a picture but haven't done that before so I apologize in advance if it doesn't work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321118[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321119[/ATTACH]

grayhare 03-19-2012 05:07 PM

Wow! your machine is beautiful!! It looks in excellent condition! Enjoy

glorcour 03-20-2012 06:36 AM

Very nice specimen. I have one but in a wooden cabinet. It was a great buy for $50 and sews like a charm

deplaylady 03-20-2012 07:38 AM

Very nice! It's a great find and a beauty - enjoy!

callen 03-21-2012 04:50 AM

Great looking machine.