Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 185k (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-185k-t278233.html)

bkay 05-01-2016 03:59 AM

Singer 185k

I've read some glowing reviews on this machine. I think I have the number correctly. It's green. Is there a downside?

bkay

Mickey2 05-01-2016 06:57 AM

It's a nice model, a 3/4 size machine, straight sticher only and basically an updated version of model 99. There's not really a down side to this model, but if you exceed it's limits regarding heavy materials and high speed it will start to vibrate and jump on the table. That said, it's quite a tough machine handeling most jobs with ease (including bumpy seams on jeans). In my experience you have to spend some time cleaning and oiling this model up to get it quiet, (but that's often the case with any model), there's often a lot of felted fluff under the bobbin case even if it looks clean on the surface (slide the bobbin cover plate completely off and there is a metal bit that lifts to the side and it releases the case). It can be noisy if the bobbin case is badly adjusted, but it's a case of adjustment and maintantace. Some of the 185K are in platic casings and time hasn't been good to them, they are often cracked and not easy to fix. The blond wood case version is very nice though.

tessagin 05-01-2016 07:03 AM

Saw one of these at nearby thrift store. Too much money. They tried to tell me it was an antique. I said no just old. It was not with the case and very rusty. They wanted $85. NO motor on it.

bkay 05-01-2016 06:19 PM

Thanks, I decided to pass on this one. I think I want one, though.
bk

purplefiend 05-02-2016 12:53 PM

The Singer 185k is a 99k in a new dress. All of the inner workings are exactly the same. They sew so nicely.
One of the biggest drawbacks is how heavy they are.

Mickey2 05-02-2016 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 7539235)
One of the biggest drawbacks is how heavy they are.

Very true, but on the other side, the heavy body makes it such a stable and solid machine when stitching layers of demin and heavier fabrics :- )

Sewnoma 05-03-2016 07:05 AM

If you need a simple, small straight-stitcher, 185's and 99's are great solid little machines. They're also pretty common so sometimes you can pick them up for a song. I lucked out and found a 185 at a thrift shop for $15, just needed a little cleaning up and works great. Someone else flat out gave me one of my 99's because it needed a new motor - $20 later and I have a very nice little 99!

Easy to find feet and accessories (any Singer low-shank side clamp feet will fit - very common), easy to work on, nice little machines. Easy to sew with, too.

Just be careful you don't accidentally get a 285 - they look nearly the same as the 185's but are very different underneath. They have a reputation for being loud and having a lot of vibration and are not well-loved. I haven't sewn on one personally but after seeing how they're made I don't doubt that a 99 or 185 sews a LOT smoother.

PatriciaPf 05-16-2016 09:29 AM

I have a 185J; is the only difference between the J and the K models is that the J was made in Canada?

bkay 05-16-2016 06:25 PM

She didn't sell it. She wanted $100.00 for it, which I considered top end. I didn't want it that much. On the positive side, it was in a cabinet.

I'm still learning about values, models and condition. I have a lot to learn.
bk

Cari-in-Oly 05-16-2016 09:54 PM

If the machine is in really good condition, has accessories, etc. and the cabinet is nice, then $100 isn't too far out of line. The cabinets for 3/4 size machines are not not rare, but not something you find every day either.

Cari