Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 201-2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-201-2-a-t250065.html)

sdeaaz 07-13-2014 11:27 AM

Singer 201-2

Does anyone know anything about the Singer 201-2 machine. I may have a chance to buy one. She told me to make an offer. Ebay has one for $120 but they can't get a bid and then it is $50 for shipping. Any suggestions appreciated.

Rodney 07-13-2014 11:42 AM

The Singer 201 has a good reputation. They're a full rotary hook design. The use class 66 bobbins and 15x1 needles, both are easily available. I don't know the differences in the -2 part of the model#. I think usually it has to do with how the machine was originally powered, hand, treadle, etc.
Rodney

J Miller 07-13-2014 11:53 AM

The 201-2 is the potted motor version. ( Motor mounted on the back of the machine, gear driven.) The -3 has the regular hang on belt driven motor. The rest I'm not sure of.
If they can't get a bid at their asking price just offer them what you feel it's worth ... to you.

Joe

manicmike 07-13-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz (Post 6799196)
Does anyone know anything about the Singer 201-2 machine.

In my area (Australia) 201s go for almost nothing. The most I've ever paid for one is $40. however, they are the best stitching machine Singer ever made and almost unbreakable (the gears are hardened steel, they will sew through anything from silk to leather) and were the most expensive domestic machine in the world, costing even more than zig-zag and embroidery machines such as the 319 and 401. The drawbacks are 1) Extremely heavy 2) Only do straight stitch 3) Drop-in bobbin isn't that good for free motion sewing.
If you sew clothing you should have a 201. Add a few attachments (buttonholer, zig-zagger, blind-stitcher) and you have a machine that can do everything.

oldtnquiltinglady 07-14-2014 08:05 AM

I love my 201-2 (I just read J Miller's description above, so I know that is what mine is, because it has the potted motor) for EVERYTHING that can be done with a straight stitch. It is the sweetest sounding machine in my whole herd (and I do love Elna for their quietness), and I use it every time I am in my sewing room working on some kind of a project. It is even quieter than my FW which I use in my in-house sewing room (my bedroom); but maybe because it is set up in a cabinet and my FW isn't. Can you tell that quiet running sewing machines are what I look for and use....

SteveH 07-14-2014 08:32 AM

Our 201-2 sewed about a dozen 18'(yes foot) long flat felled seams in canvas (Medieval Pavilion Top) never even got warm...

The ONLY reason it was retired is that we got a 241-12 actual Industrial that is even tougher

Carol34446 07-14-2014 03:47 PM

Learned to sew on Helen, 201-3 and Grandmother bought it when I was 5 in early 1950-51 and still have it and it is great. Had to replace electric cord 20 or so years ago, but great machine. Have had several people try to buy her and I hang on tight. Just wish I had a sewing room to set her and my others up. Had to quit collecting due to lack of space. Go for it.

sdeaaz 07-15-2014 06:28 AM

Well, I went to look at the machine yesterday.... it was it the worst looking cabinet.. not original I am sure. water damage, split veneer, etc. It had been stored in a garage, so looked pretty bad.... I thought it was a portable. So now my question is .... can it be used without a base if I would take out of case. She was asking 100-200 dollars. Which is a little high according to my research. The cabinet would be of no value, so I declined for now. She said she would love for me to have it, so she will let me know if she gets any interest in it or before she would sell it. Thanks everyone for all your info... I really appreciate it.

J Miller 07-15-2014 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We paid around $80.00 for this 201-2 and cabinet. It is not "perfect". The machine does show some wear and so does the cabinet. But it was and is in perfect functional condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483412[/ATTACH]
As far as I am concerned, 100 to 200 dollars for one with a poor condition cabinet is not only a little high, but way out of reason.

I don't think the 201s can be used without a case or a cabinet. Mine is burried so I can't just go take a look see, I think they have an odd number of legs.

Joe

ArchaicArcane 07-15-2014 10:15 AM

Good idea to pass on that one. 201s are not rare. Yes, they can be used without a base, and you could pick up a plastic case to hold it, but that's more money for a machine that should be whole and the drawers full of goodies at that price.

I picked up a lovely if well loved 201-3 (or 201K) for $22.50 on sale at the thrift shop last weekend. They were having a half price sale. It came with a buttonholer, all of the attachments (no screwdrivers though), the box and the manual. There were no parts of the machine missing. The #43 cabinet needed some work, but I've done all of it (plug and re-drill the screw holes for the extension leaf, glue one of the drawer pulls back together and affix to the drawer, straighten the hinges on the one cabinet door and reinstall the door.)

The machine needed work too. It was the most freely turning thrift store machine I've bought, and would spin a couple of revolutions before stopping if you just gave it a spin with your hand, but it needed the light and motor rewired and I didn't love that the original wiring (pedal built into the side of the drawer banks with the controller mounted under the drawers) was wired to the machine, and not to the plug, so I changed that too. This way it's easier to service the machine. I can just take it out and put it on the bench, instead of having to pull the wiring block apart, or leaving the motor and the light with the cabinet.

I serviced the machine on Friday and today it's going to get its test sew. Based on the amount of work I did on the machine, what I paid was likely "fair".

I mention all of this because this is very likely the same amount of work you could be looking at for a similar machine. All in all, I probably have 5 hours into the machine and cabinet and it still hasn't sewn a stitch for me.

All for a machine that you would have a hard time turning around for $100 in my market despite its extremely clean, fully serviced and perfect wiring status.

There's a similar machine, identical cabinet and similar shape to this machine's original state in our buy and sell at the moment for $40 and it's been there for more than a week at that price.