Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 206K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-206k-t292573.html)

NZquilter 11-14-2017 01:21 AM

Singer 206K

I have never seen one on CL yet, and one came up last last night in my area for about $100. From what I see they were Singers first zigzag machines. Were they any good? How rare are they? I'm just wondering if it is worth it. (If you can't tell I'm tempted to get it!)

Mickey2 11-14-2017 02:07 AM

I think I dare say they are good. They were advanced for their time. I think this is a model developed after Singer bought a sewing machine factory in Germany before WWII (from the top om my mind, I can't remember exactly so it needs to be looked up). The only thing against them is the special needle, 206x13. It's available in only a couple of sizes. Some have these machines set for regular 130 needles. There's a bit of info on it here among related models.

I live in Norway, and I have seen two the last 3 years. Most old Singers here were made at the Kilbowie factory in Scotland. They are not very rare, but not very common either. 319 and 320 are a bit more common.

bkay 11-14-2017 05:58 AM

I just did a search and it does have some drawbacks, in that it doesn't have a slide plate. You have to tip the head back to change the bobbin.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/Sew...ns/topic/56161

bkay

NZquilter 11-14-2017 06:09 AM

Wow, thanks for the link, bkay. That was very informative! I guess I'll let this machine pass for now. Maybe I in a few years I'll pick one up, but for now no. I was just wondering if they were like a 201 with a zz.

Mickey2 11-14-2017 07:45 AM

The 206 are belt driven (timing belt) and have a bobbin case you take out to replace the bobbin. The closest swing arm zigzagger is probably the 401s and related models. They have the direct drive motor, no belts, meshing gears, and the drop-in bobbin case. I like the early cast iron zigzaggers, I have my eye set on a Bernina, but I am open to other makers, there are a few very nice and interesting models made from around 1930 to early 1950s.

NZquilter 11-14-2017 09:33 AM

So Bernina made cast iron zigzaggers then? I have a "modern" plastic Brother machine from Walmart that I use for my appliquing but when it dies (which it will, lol!) I want to replace it with something that will last and I can service myself. I'm kind of looking at the old Kenmores and Necchis too. I've really grown to appreciate these old machines that don't die as fast as the cheap plastic one-- even the not so cheap ones!

bearisgray 11-14-2017 09:45 AM

I have a friend that loves her Singer 206.

Mickey2 11-14-2017 09:48 AM

Yes, I think it's 117 I'm on the look for. It seems to be considred something between a domestic and an industrial. I've seen it as treadle, motor mount under the table and portable in a wood base. The one I have seen first hand had a belt driven motor in the back and was in a small cabinet.

There is of course Pfaff 130, and I almost got a Mundlos-Victoria, but when I asked if there were any bobbins and accessory box the seller lost interest some how. There are additionally some early German brands that's very nice and take regular 130 needle.

I think the 206 has a slide plate, but you have to tilt the machine up to access the bobbin case. I think it has a mechanical function (bracket on something) to make this eaiser compared to a basic 15 or 66.

chris_quilts 11-16-2017 01:51 PM

Mickey, I have one the elusive Bernina 117s. Love it. Heavy machine.

Cari-in-Oly 11-16-2017 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 7945281)
Mickey, I have one the elusive Bernina 117s. Love it. Heavy machine.

I've never been interested in Berninas but I think if I ran across one of the gorgeous green 117s I'd have to have it.

Cari