Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 221 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-221-a-t243939.html)

Whoopie 03-26-2014 05:04 AM

Singer 221

I bought a Singer 221 at an auction.(they found it in a big crock in the basement). The box is a bit moldy but the machine looks new. The belt must have parted company many years ago. Putting on a new belt was no problem as was getting bobbins for it. The problem is that the upper thread does not go around the bobbin to pick up the lower thread. I also found a long thin spring sitting on the thread pin. Did someone take the machine apart and had parts leftover. The foot pedal doesn't even have scratch on it so I don't think it was ever used. I cannot afford to send it anywhere. Please help.

J Miller 03-26-2014 05:30 AM

Whoopie,

Thread problem could be the needle is in wrong.
FeatherWeight needles go in Flat to the Left and thread Right to Left. If the needle is in backwards it won't pick up the bobbin thread correctly.

The spring on the thread pin is to keep the thread spools from spinning too fast. We have one for both our 221 and 319.

Joe

nanna-up-north 03-26-2014 05:34 AM

Yeah!! Another FW 221..... Okay, do you have the manual for it? I had the same problem when I got my first FW.... almost cried because I thought I'd gotten a machine that didn't work. I had the thread going from left to right instead of right to left. The flat side of the needle goes on the left. Try that first.

Also, check how the bobbin is in the case and that you've got the thread coming up in that little hole. When I put the case into the machine, I hear a little 'click' if it's in there correctly. If I don't hear the click..... its an ugly thing.

I've seen some people put a spring on the spool pin. I've never done that. It looks like the thread spool wouldn't fit correctly, but maybe someone else can tell you about that.

And, it sounds like it's something simple.... at least I hope so. I think everyone here will be able to figure it out for you. I have 5 FWs now and every one of them had a minor issue at the beginning.

And, a picture..... can we see a picture?

nanna-up-north 03-26-2014 05:36 AM

It looks like Joe beat me to an answer.... good to see you up and at 'em again, Joe.

ArizonaKAT 03-26-2014 10:21 AM

Check for thread stuck in the bobbin case. That happened to me on all three of mine.

J Miller 03-26-2014 10:39 AM

Jean,
Glad to be back amongst the living again. Pneumonia is NOT fun.

Thread jams around and behind the bobbin are a chronic problem with the FWs. The one we got was jammed up like that, and many many times I've read reports from members here about their thread jams.
Kinda weird the way that is.

Joe

Dottie Bug 03-26-2014 02:25 PM

hope you can get it going the people here has some very good advise. you will be sewing in no time. DottieBug

aronel 03-26-2014 02:38 PM

Welcome back Joe. You were missed.

dwerther 03-26-2014 03:08 PM

In addition to what has already been written about seating the needle and threading... The bobbin goes into the bobbin case such that when you pull the thread the bobbin turns counter-clockwise when looking at the bobbin. Also, DO NOT turn the balance wheel backwards - only towards you (counter-clockwise when looking from the balance wheel end of the machine). That will definitely cause thread jams. Also be sure the needle is fully seated against the stop. Good luck!

Whoopie 03-27-2014 04:12 AM

Took machine to a friend who likes to tinker. We decided that the bobbin housing was broken. A new part has been ordered. will keep you updated.