Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 223 Saved (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-223-saved-t274743.html)

DKuehn 01-19-2016 10:20 PM

Singer 223 Saved

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this Singer 223 Fashion Mate for free on Craigslist today, I picked it up around noon. The ad said that it hasn't worked for a while and it has been exposed to the weather.

I got it home and it was totally frozen and quite wet from sitting in the rain. The rust wasn't too bad but it was visible in some areas. Took a little work getting it to move again. Also, getting the whole bobbin assembly (not sure what all that stuff is called) cleaned up and moving again was a challenge, but it's sewing again. Apparently this model was made in Japan, it's all metal construction and I think I'll enjoy sewing with it. It actually came with another Singer, but the other one has a lot of plastic in it and I'm not sure what I'll do with that one.

The collection continues to grow...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540634[/ATTACH]

lovelyl 01-20-2016 04:27 AM

Nice save!

miriam 01-20-2016 04:34 AM

I have one of those. It is very a very nice machine. I'm betting it would be a real nice one on a treadle. I can not remember if the hand wheel and the motor boss line up or are off center for hand crank. Mine had a horrible mess in the gears under the bobbin area. It doesn't stop me from loving the machine though. Anyway, you have a very nice find.

liking quilting 01-20-2016 05:28 AM

Oh, it's a pretty machine!

Blackberry 01-20-2016 07:43 AM

That is a beautiful machine. I have a couple of singer fashion mates and I really like them. You did a great job.

greaterexp 01-20-2016 09:02 AM

Congratulations! It feels great getting a basically good machine up and running!

Sunflowerzz 01-20-2016 09:40 AM

This was the first machine I repaired, cleaned and sold. It went to a grandfather for his preteen grand daughters birthday. He purchased it because his mother had one and he knew it was a good one. His grand daughter was in tears after her third cheap childs sewing machine had failed like the others before it.

She has plans ( at 9 years old) to be a clothing designer. How cute is that?! He said she was getting very discouraged. I gifted him a table to go with it for her.

I have to say that little machine had the most perfect straight stitches I have ever seen. I am always on the look out for another one. I would keep it in my small collection and use it just for the beautiful stitches that it is known for.

Enjoy your 223, they are awesome
.:)

Mrs. SewNSew 01-20-2016 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DKuehn (Post 7439216)
Saw this Singer 223 Fashion Mate for free on Craigslist today, I picked it up around noon. The ad said that it hasn't worked for a while and it has been exposed to the weather.

I got it home and it was totally frozen and quite wet from sitting in the rain. The rust wasn't too bad but it was visible in some areas. Took a little work getting it to move again. Also, getting the whole bobbin assembly (not sure what all that stuff is called) cleaned up and moving again was a challenge, but it's sewing again. Apparently this model was made in Japan, it's all metal construction and I think I'll enjoy sewing with it. It actually came with another Singer, but the other one has a lot of plastic in it and I'm not sure what I'll do with that one.

The collection continues to grow...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540634[/ATTACH]

I saw the C/L ad for these. You must live close! The Fashion Mate looked worth saving, the other not so much!

DKuehn 01-20-2016 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 7439897)
I saw the C/L ad for these. You must live close! The Fashion Mate looked worth saving, the other not so much!

Looks like we're neighbors. I'm guessing the other one will eventually end up in a landfill.

sewbeadit 01-20-2016 05:42 PM

Very nice machine, great save, enjoy