Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 301A question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-301a-question-t219689.html)

Doxiemomma 04-21-2013 07:04 PM

Singer 301A question.

Hi everyone. I am working on finding a nice classic machine to work with. I found a 301A and after doing research I found that it may be the one for me. I was just wondering, is one color more rare than the other? I have seen them in black or the brown/tan color.

Mizkaki 04-21-2013 08:40 PM

The Singer 301 comes in 5 'flavors'. Black with either a long or short fold up bed, Mocha (light brownish) also with
either a long or short fold up bed, and a two tone in only a short bed. The two tone is officially know as LBOW which means light beige and oyster white. I don't think there is an official tally of how many of each was made. The mocha seems to be the ones seen the most and the black long bed the least.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Doxiemomma (Post 6017872)
Hi everyone. I am working on finding a nice classic machine to work with. I found a 301A and after doing research I found that it may be the one for me. I was just wondering, is one color more rare than the other? I have seen them in black or the brown/tan color.

Doxiemomma 04-22-2013 03:18 AM

Thanks so much Cathy :)

miriam 04-22-2013 03:22 AM

People will spend more money on the EBOW or the black machines but they don't sew any better than the mocha.

Prim Quilts 04-22-2013 07:45 AM

I got mine from a thrift store for $10. It is a mocha short bed. I really kind of wanted a black long bed. This poor machine went through the wringer before coming to live here. Someone put the needle in wrong and the machine wouldn't sew. So they took apart the tensioner and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. They also took apart the bobbin case etc......and also couldn't figure out how to put it back together. The good news was all the parts were still there. So then since the machine was unfixable, they sentenced it to a wet moldy basement before they finally gave it up to the thrift store. The guys in back saved it for me and when I saw it was a 301 I snatchted it up. It was filthy and the homemade cabinet that didn't even fit right ended up being fire wood. However, it didn't take long to get it back running............maybe if they had bothered to look at the manual that was still with it. Anyway, it is my favorite machine, and I have about 32 or 35 right now. So very quiet. Poor thing had a hard life before coming here. All owner error. So in the end, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

mackenzie 04-23-2013 11:22 AM

I have 2 black ones, one two tone and one mocha. You're right, I am partial to the black ones, they remind me of the old fashioned locomotives, but actually my mocha is "smoother" sewing than any of them. I think #301's are my favorites above all my machines. You can find them on eBay all the time at a reasonable price if you are looking for one. So far the ones I have bought are in very good condition. Good luck!

cricket_iscute 04-23-2013 12:40 PM

I agree. I have about 30 machines and at least one 301 is always set up and ready to sew at a moment's notice. Singer 301s are my favorites by far. I have one mocha short bed in a cabinet and one mocha long bed that's portable. I use the long bed for fmq and line quilting with a walking foot, plus piecing. It is my first choice of machine to take to classes, as well. It's reliable and bulletproof. My long bed's name is JoyBoy, because it is such a joy to sew with and it's a boy.

If I ever found a pristine black 301 long bed, I'd snatch it in a minute.

tenngal 04-23-2013 02:48 PM

I have one of each and love them both!

Kittys 04-23-2013 03:47 PM

I recently purchased a 301 black long bed and am having a wonderful time playing with it. All the previous posts are absolutely right. I sews like a dream. I have finished two quilt tops with it in 3 weeks. I have yet to do any quilting but am looking forward to it.

Daylesewblessed 04-23-2013 05:58 PM

Take a look at the website singer301.com for a lot of manufacturing information and a lot of other valuable information.

Dayle