Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer #32 Drawing Room Cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-32-drawing-room-cabinet-t297943.html)

Dollyo 06-29-2018 01:41 PM

Singer #32 Drawing Room Cabinet

4 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I know, you've heard all before. I went to an estate sale today and this is what I came home with, Singer Embossed #32 Drawing Room oak cabinet for $100. No machine or workings. I'm hoping that one of you have one of these lovely cabinets and can post pics of what I need to replace. Picking it tomorrow. I have a very nice Red Eye that I want to mount in it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596774[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]596775[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]596776[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]596777[/ATTACH]

Karamarie 07-01-2018 04:31 AM

That is the prettiest sewing cabinet I've seen. It'll make a neat addition to a sewing room.

ube quilting 07-01-2018 05:25 AM

Oh my, what a lovely treasure you came home with. Lucky you.

Rose_P 07-01-2018 03:09 PM

What a great find! Are you hoping to find the treadle mechanism, or just install the head with a motor? Either way, I would be baffled about how to proceed. I hope someone has the info and a lead to resources.

Rose_P 07-01-2018 03:20 PM

It dawns on me that there would be nothing to lose in asking the seller if the missing parts could possibly be in an attic or garage. If they're clearing an estate, that would just be junk to them. I googled "Singer parlor cabinet" and got lots of hits, some with open doors showing a wide treadle that filled the space below. The drive wheel and belt were enclosed in the area behind the doors on the right, and there appears to be an additional door on the right side panel to give better access to that area. I don't know if the one pictured with that door open is the same model as yours.

Dollyo 07-01-2018 03:47 PM

Just purchased the entire lift mechanism and latch. Just have to find the treadle mechanism, pitman, wheel, etc.

MeganMills 07-17-2021 09:32 PM

I got one of these today with a 1909 Singer 27 VS machine with the Pheasant decals on it. The machine lifts up and down nicely but there seems to be something missing for locking/unlocking the drawers? There is a hole that looks like anything protruding from the hole would be depressed when the little door on the left and the bottom is closed. But there's nothing in that hole. I can poke a knitting needle in there and it goes "tink, tink" on what I presume is the metal rod that controls the lock for all the drawers.

Can anyone confirm if I have indeed worked out what must be missing? And if I have, does anyone know what I can do to make it so that it works again please?

Thanks so much and kind regards... Megan

MeganMills 07-18-2021 01:32 AM

Ooh - ooh! My hubby has solved it while I've been hunting around on the internet looking for the solution to the drawer-locking mechanism. It's a key! Well of course it is! (But I could see no escutcheon-type thingy so thought no more along those lines...) But he did and tried one of our square-headed screwdrivers like a key and Lo! and Behold! when he poked it in the hole I described above and turned it he could lock and unlock the drawers. It does them all at once. Awesome!

I thought I'd let you all know. Some of you might even have one of these cabinets with a locking mechanism like this and be completely unaware it is there. The square keys are hard to get these days so the screwdriver we used was a Number 2 Robinson's screwdriver. Kind regards... Megan