Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer 328 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-328-a-t278390.html)

bkay 05-05-2016 02:58 PM

singer 328

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my first project - a singer 328. It was $45.00 in a cabinet. (I'll pick it up tomorrow.) I made the same mistake I made last time I bought a machine - I didn't test it. (Maybe I'll be as lucky as I was last time and have no major problems.) It's missing the light switch (there's a hole where the light switch goes). I was checking the Singerco.com site for a part number, but they don't show this machine for a 328. The one they show doesn't look like this. From what little I've seen on a google search, it looks like a regular light switch - like on a lamp. Maybe they just wired it direct and then, maybe it doesn't work at all. We'll see what we'll see. Hopefully, I'll learn to test everything rather than make a split decision.

It looks like this, except not as nice and it's brown, not gray. This is a 328, isn't it?

bk

Stitchnripper 05-05-2016 04:05 PM

Isn't that the light switch above the light? It pushes on and off. Is That the hole you mention? I'm on the iPhone so not exactly clear.

bkay 05-05-2016 04:16 PM

Yes, that's the switch. There's a hole there on the one I bought.

The demo on youtube shows it's a twist type of switch, like on a lamp.

bk

Stitchnripper 05-05-2016 05:12 PM

Oh okay. Hope you can get it resolved. I have a 327. Bought it new in 1964.

elnan 05-05-2016 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7541908)
It looks like this, except not as nice and it's brown, not gray. This is a 328, isn't it?

bk

Yes, this is a 328, probably 328K. If you google ISMACS 328 sewing machine, then scroll down to where you see the model number, there is a clickable link that will show you the machine as you described. I'm thinking you could replace that light switch with a generic one from the hardware store.

lovelyl 05-06-2016 03:33 AM

I had a 328K, but gave it to a friend over a year ago. Mine did not have a light switch or a hole for a switch. The light was wired directly and came on when the machine was plugged in. It looked just like the pic you posted minus the switch.

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 05-06-2016 09:19 AM

Ooo! I haven't seen one in hammered gloss gray before. Very nice! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that she has no major issues and is stitching like a dream soon.

bkay 05-06-2016 10:55 AM

I lucked out again! It works, albeit slowly. It's filthy. The light is wired directly. When you plug it in, it comes on. I may just buy a switch to put in the hole for looks rather than rewiring the light. There are no attachments/books/cams. So, I'm pleased. It will be my second project machine. I got the old Touch and Sew purring, so maybe my luck will hold.

This one will qualify for before and after photos.

bk

tranum 05-07-2016 07:39 PM

Awww! I have exact same machine stored under the stairs. I should get rid of it, but after much deliberation in 1965, Mom and Dad bought it for me as a high school graduation gift. I've sewed many miles on it so it was a gift that kept on giving. It still works and I keep it around for sentimental reasons.

Mickey2 05-08-2016 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 7543597)
Awww! I have exact same machine stored under the stairs. I should get rid of it....

It looks like a very nice model though, all metal and it takes cams! What do you sew on now?