Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer 401 A question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-401-question-t47191.html)

piepatch 12-29-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarolLady
A question about the foot cord. If I purchase a foot controller will it still work if I sit it up in the space provided to use with the knee thingamajig, instead of having it on the floor?
Just curious and want to make sure it will work both ways before I purchase something.
Thanks
Carol

It should work both ways if it is meant to fit the 401. I had to replace my foot controller for my 401 not long ago, and had to settle for a generic because they don't make the Singer one any more. It works in the floor, but I have not tried it in the "knee" position because the cabinet is in storage.

CarolLady 12-29-2010 01:47 PM

I have made a new post on my question for this. Hope I haven't confused people.

New issue that has come up.

piepatch 12-29-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by CarolLady
Well over the summer I was busy outside. So this winter I have taken my sewing machine to be cleaned. I have been told that it has a worn hook tip on the bobbin case that causes it to skip stitches when doing zig zag stitches and that it will run another $150.00 to get it fixed. Is this to much to pay for this fix and is the machine worth it? Is it a fix I could do if I can find the part online? Any one know what the part would be for it so that I could look it up online? The service person said it was a worn hook tip in the bobbin case. Any and all information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Carol

I had a worn hook tip a few years ago and it was going to cost well over $100.00 to replace the part, but the service man told me he could actually "file the burr" and it would probably work for a while. ( He explained that the hook had a "burr" on it that was rough and causing the stitches to mess up ) I told him to file it, and the cost was very little and it has worked fine for several years now.

CarolLady 12-29-2010 01:56 PM

Thanks for that information!

Lostn51 12-29-2010 07:26 PM

Yeah I forgot that you can file it a tad if it has a bur on it. It is hardened steel so it will take a while with the right file but it can be done.

It is just rare for a hook to need replacing, to me he is not that well versed on the vintage machines.

Billy

Stitch124 04-02-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by alimaui (Post 2137533)
I have the 403a, and I L-O-V-E it! It is magnificent. The cords are really easy to find on ebay.

I wasn't able to figure out how to make FMQ work on it, but it does everything else, and is great at sewing through multiple layers! (Needle just glided through four layers of canvas, but the Bernina didn't like it.)

I have a 403A and was wondering about the power cords. Could you post a pic of them so I can make sure I have the right foot peddle and power cords. My 403A is running slow and I wonder if I have the right cords. They came with the machine at the estate auction, but it could be they were put with the machine at some other point. Thanks!

lizzy 05-09-2012 02:44 AM

Carollady, I recently purchased my Singer 401 and love it. Haven't tried for free motion but if you go to YouTube, there are several good sites that talk about this machine. The best site is the one where a gentleman is showing a lady all that can be done on this machine. Will try to send you the link. You do not need the cams to do a lot of the stitching. There is a free manual on line for this machine that is very helpful. Type in Singer 401 manuals. Hope this helps.

lizzy 05-09-2012 02:46 AM

It is a steal. Hope you bought the machine.

Originally Posted by CarolLady (Post 1089751)
Yes I have read that the feed dog plate raises. , from the picture the numbers look kind of warn... but from an online picture I ran across I think I could figure it out.
Thanks, so $40 wouldn't be a bad price to pay for one that they say works? And it is in a cabinet.
(I am feeling that's a silly question)

Thanks a lot for your responses,
Carol

happyquiltmom 05-09-2012 03:21 AM

I have had my 401A for many years and love it! I use it more than any other machine.
I have only the #1 cam, but it creates quite a variety of stitches. There is a chart of stitches and the settings for each inside the door on the top of the machine where the cams go.

The only thing I haven't been able to do with it is FMQing. It will always break the thread when I try to move to the left. That's ok, though, because I keep my old Bernina set up for FMQing at all times.

seenglefwa 02-19-2021 06:00 AM

[QUOTE=julia58;1089617]I have a 401a and love it, I was lucky enough to find it at a thrift store in Fl. all the attachments, manual, buttonhole attachment, I haven't used my other machine since. I just read that the feed dogs can't be lowered, so I guess free motion is out with this machine, unless someone knows of another way. I love mine, and wish you many happy hours with yours.[/QUOTe

the thread plate actually raises up a little so the dog feed does not touch the material. That allows for free motion quilting. To raise the plate it is the little lever on the base that has a plate that says unlock, raise, lower.