Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 431g question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-431g-question-t273332.html)

steihy 12-15-2015 03:22 AM

Singer 431g question

1 Attachment(s)
Found a very nice Singer 431 G on Norwegian website, at a very good price because of a missing foot pedal. I have a few of those. Really elaborate, good work table, but thrashed. Suits me fine to chop it actually, no room for more cabinets. Besides, the machine has a very useful, narrow free arm and I don't know if this could be used in the table.

The sm was just about plug and play. Just a few twists of the hand wheel and it felt nice and loose. Motor running fine, all functions and levers working effortlessly. Haven't actually sewn it yet, because I noticed slack in the ZZ mechanism, I could wiggle the needle bar without resistance.

Opened up up the top again, and found this spring lying loose. Does anybody have a functioning sm in this series, and can show me where the spring goes? Maybe a service manual would show it, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

And then there's the chainstitch. It has been discussed here, but as I only have a vague idea of what it is, and none at all of when it's useful, I haven't really understood it. There was no extra throatplate with the machine. I understand that chances are slim in the US, so I guess German eBay might be a good start for one.

miriam 12-15-2015 03:34 AM

I would look for a Singer 401 or other slant service manual to see where that spring goes. I know exactly where it goes but I don't think I can describe. It should be a fairly easy fix. You have to hook one end and stretch the other with a pair of needle nose players and you should be good to sew. I'm thinking there should be a link in our sticky notes under resources for working on machines.

J Miller 12-15-2015 01:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
steihy,

Here is a couple pics of that spring in our 401a.

The long straight end hooks over the little hook as shown in the pic below:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538129[/ATTACH]

The short end by the spring hooks on the vertical rod seen in this pic:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538131[/ATTACH]
Just to the left of the collar with the set screw. Behind the face plate.

Hope this helps some.

Joe

steihy 12-16-2015 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That did it, Joe, thank you so much. As you can see the hook is a little different, shorter and more rounded. Maybe why the spring falls off in the first place.

Are all the machines in the 400 series the same basically?

J Miller 12-16-2015 08:10 AM

steihy,

As far as I know the 400s are similar. Some use a built in cam along with the removable cams and some use just the removable cams, but other than that I'm fairly sure they're the same.

Joe

19cats 12-16-2015 09:32 AM

I'm wondering if your hook really is shorter or if it's been "adjusted" by someone just because the screw beneath it appears to have been moved at some point.

J Miller 12-16-2015 04:15 PM

Probably just model or time period variation.

Joe

ArchaicArcane 12-17-2015 08:50 PM

Chain stitching is useful when you're making clothing and sneaking up on a size. The chain stitch is nice because it takes seconds to remove to resize. That said - if it's secured correctly - it's just as secure as a lock stitch. It's also nice as a decorative stitch if you stitch upside down then you get the interesting look of the chain on the top of your work.