Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 500 question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-500-question-t261369.html)

J Miller 02-16-2015 03:49 PM

Singer 500 question

This is a question for those that have and use the Singer 500A in addition to other machines, Singer or other wise.

Does the 500A seem to run slower than other machines?

One of ours runs noticeably slower than the other one, and the other one, well, I can't tell for sure but I think it's a bit slower too.

I think the slow one needs the controller adjusted. Sigh ............. another fix-it project.

Joe

miriam 02-16-2015 04:35 PM

Try it with the clutch out and see how she spins. I have noticed that they do need a shot of oil every once in a while. There is a circle under the bobbin - stick a drop in there and see how she does. There was one machine I got that had a real drag to it. I oiled it up real good. The motor would spin like nobody's business with no load. So I thought well maybe it is just weak or something so I traded a good motor into it. Well that one did the same so I knew it was somewhere in the machine. I oiled and re-oiled. Still had a pretty good drag. Finally I turned that thing on it's side and oiled the bobbin area real good and ran the machine - all of a sudden that thing wanted to run. I'm guessing the bobbin area. You might give the rest of it a couple drops - I'm just a woman so how would I know... :p

J Miller 02-16-2015 06:00 PM

A good oiling never hurt anything. I haven't oiled it in a while, so with the use my wife has given it it could probably use some.

Quit knocking yourself, you know more than I do. :)

Joe

pennycandy 02-17-2015 07:57 AM

This based on my experience with my 1036 which is the only machine that I owned for over 30 years. I am in the habit of brushing out the bobbin area when I change bobbins but when I notice a difference in performance, it's time for a good cleaning. Usually I can tell by sound it's time to take things apart. If I do a good cleaning the lint out of the bobbin area both top and bottom and the feed dogs and oil & lube, she runs much smoother.

J Miller 02-17-2015 11:26 AM

Let me rephrase the question: Assuming a properly cleaned and lubricated machine, do the 500s tend to run slower than other machines?

Joe

miriam 02-17-2015 01:16 PM

not particularly

Sunflowerzz 02-17-2015 01:21 PM

Joe, I have two of them fairly recently acquired and they both run the same. Very comparable to all of my other machines except the Pfaff 131 and the Bernina 740 favorit, they run at lightning speed.:)

cricket_iscute 02-17-2015 04:33 PM

Joe, the 500 does not run slower when adjusted properly. In fact, you gave me the information on how to make the adjustment. It's in those screws which I think are under and to the front of the feed dogs. (I'm not at the machine right now.) You gave me the gaps to set, and when I did, it ran perfectly, and fast. Do you remember that? Do you need them again?

I agree about the oil in the bobbin case and also a drop in the ring around the bobbin case, plus everywhere else the machine needs oil. I frequently use my Singer 500, which I got running again with help from folks here.

Now Miriam. Ahem About you. What do you mean, you're just a woman, so how would you know? Ahem, ahem. You are one of the most knowledgeable women regarding sewing machines I've ever known. If I knew more about you than that, I would probably think the same thing in any area of expertise you have. Plus that, please don't put down women (or was it a joke?). We are a capable bunch. I am a woman too, and (retired) engineer, with the final authority for all aerospace programs assigned to me and many millions of dollars of the company's profits. It doesn't fly until I say it flies. I am a woman, and I made it a point to know what I was doing, and then to double check it, because lives depended on me. I am a woman, the only woman there, and I stood up to any man who wanted to do things the fast and dirty way because, again, lives depended on it. I did my homework and could prove what I said. I got a lot of respect for it, too. If you have flown anywhere in the past decade or two, it may just be that a woman owns a big part of the fact that you got there safely. You are a woman, a capable and worthwhile human being. I'm glad you are on this board. Lecture over.

miriam 02-17-2015 06:14 PM

I was being a smart pants and Joe knows all about why I said what I did BUT I really do appreciate your lecture!!! There seem to be men and women on QB who think when a man says something it is more likely right than when a woman says something. And if you haven't read anything Tammi has written or watched her videos --- that gal knows her stuff and she can articulate. I'm really bummed that Kathy Nelson - Mizkaki has been run off the board by someone who called her a 'know it all'. She is the other person I like to quiz when I am stumped.

ArchaicArcane 02-17-2015 11:18 PM

Joe and I discussed this a little via email. I'm going to say oil, check the pedal adjustment and a drop or two of oil (I know some like engine oil, I usually drop 2 drops of triflow) onto the bearing below the worm gear on the motor and run the daylights out of it. This is also pretty much in keeping with what you found, right Joe?

Awww, thanks Miriam. :) If you've watched my videos, you know most of what I do is stream of consciousness. If I'm having a good day - it can be pretty coherent.

I hadn't heard about Kathy... that's a shame. She sure does know a lot but I certainly wouldn't call her a know it all, not in the tone of voice it was likely meant in. Some people really are knuckle draggers!