Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 56 Cabinet, 301 mounting issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-56-cabinet-301-mounting-issue-t266965.html)

WIChix 06-28-2015 01:19 PM

Singer 56 Cabinet, 301 mounting issue

The thrift store was open, I picked up the Singer 56 cabinet. I planned to mount my 301 into it, as it came with the cradle (but not the front brackets!) Researching online today, I realized a) front brackets are hard to come by and b) the cabinet has the protruding lip on the front hinged surface. A blog I ran across says it can't be done.

I think the cabinet could be adapted, if I can find the front brackets.

Has anyone done this? Anyone have a spare set of front brackets to sell?

Thanks!

Macybaby 06-28-2015 01:32 PM

you have to trim down that front lip, then put on the brackets.

I've got some around here somewhere . . . right now finding things is a bit of a challenge!

WIChix 06-29-2015 04:56 AM

Thanks, Cathy. Trimming we can do. I was worried that trimming might make the opening too wide. I hadn't measured it, yet, as I was holding the 301 over the opening in my left, holding down the right side spacer mechanism for snaller machines with my right, and trying to explain/ask DH what he thought. He did suggest I buy a different machine for that cabinet, however I detected a bit of sarcasm in that comment! :) And if I did, with my luck, I'd still end up with a pair that doesn't work together!

Cari-in-Oly 06-29-2015 02:03 PM

Lori, if you look for a cabinet that held a 400/500 series Singer, it will have the front clips and the front flap will be right for putting a 301 cradle in it.

Cari

Hummer Lady 06-29-2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by WIChix (Post 7241343)
The thrift store was open, I picked up the Singer 56 cabinet. I planned to mount my 301 into it, as it came with the cradle (but not the front brackets!) Researching online today, I realized a) front brackets are hard to come by and b) the cabinet has the protruding lip on the front hinged surface. A blog I ran across says it can't be done.

I think the cabinet could be adapted, if I can find the front brackets.

Has anyone done this? Anyone have a spare set of front brackets to sell?

Thanks!

I don't have any extra clips, but I have done this on a cabinet. I had bought a cradle with the clips off Ebay a few years back and adapted a cabinet for my 301. I am also trimming off part of the existing lip on another cabinet that held once held a 66 to accommodate a 403. Hopefully Macybaby will locate her extra clips.

WIChix 06-29-2015 03:20 PM

Thanks, Cari & Hummer. Cabinets aren't easy to come by up here, rest assured I will keep looking, though. Hummer, I'm glad to hear your conversion worked!

Cari-in-Oly 06-29-2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by WIChix (Post 7242451)
Thanks, Cari & Hummer. Cabinets aren't easy to come by up here, rest assured I will keep looking, though. Hummer, I'm glad to hear your conversion worked!

We have an over abundance of cabinets here. There's always several empty cabinets in CL and they show up fairly often in the thrift stores.

Cari