Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 66 motor to treadle/hand crank (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-66-motor-treadle-hand-crank-t312808.html)

FlipFlopGardening 10-15-2020 09:06 PM

Singer 66 motor to treadle/hand crank

1 Attachment(s)
So, I finally picked up my Singer 66 (thanks Goodwill) and this is a whole new adventure for me. Anyway, this machine came with a solid wheel and a motor (with all the wires cut off, go figure). I'm wondering if I should try it on my treadle base for my Singer 15-31 (still working on that too). I'm hoping it will work with the current balance wheel. I really do have a lot to learn about these older beautiful machines. If you want to comment and share your own adventure and wisdom, please feel free. I am here to learn and have fun tinkering.

leonf 10-17-2020 05:58 AM

Ir will really need a spoked hand wheel. Some folks have cut notches out of their handwheels, That would be a lot of work and would need to be done just tight. Reproduction handcranks do an adequate job, but they are a bit noisier than stock and need more lube. I've done it many times .

leonf 10-17-2020 05:59 AM

Treadle could use the same handwheel, but you would need to be a bit smoother with your feet.

FlipFlopGardening 10-17-2020 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8425550)
Ir will really need a spoked hand wheel. Some folks have cut notches out of their handwheels, That would be a lot of work and would need to be done just tight. Reproduction handcranks do an adequate job, but they are a bit noisier than stock and need more lube. I've done it many times .

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8425551)
Treadle could use the same handwheel, but you would need to be a bit smoother with your feet.

Thanks LEONF. I am not brave enough to cut notches. So luckily, I found a 1919 spoked wheel on ebay today. LUCKY! Do you mind sharing a picture or video of your machine's with handcranks? If you already have something posted, a link share would be appreciated.

Mickey2 10-18-2020 03:21 AM

I lean towards keeping the motor, even if it is a bit of work to rewire and find a pedal. I use electrical machines for most projects, I like having both hands free to handle the fabric, and I am not used to hand crank more than a bit of a test run or a bit of stitching. For all practical purposes I use my cast iron straight stitchers, but with motor and lights.

leonf 10-18-2020 06:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I love to do demos with my handcranks. folks life festivals and Kansas day at the museum. I adapted a brother to a handcrank when a young friend wanted to hand crank at a bra baking class. The middle picture showed a previous owner repair to a had crank. The cotter pin never came from Singer. It is part of the machine's history so Ieft it. The second picture shows an aftermarket Chisese HC>

FlipFlopGardening 10-18-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 8425746)
I lean towards keeping the motor, even if it is a bit of work to rewire and find a pedal. I use electrical machines for most projects, I like having both hands free to handle the fabric, and I am not used to hand crank more than a bit of a test run or a bit of stitching. For all practical purposes I use my cast iron straight stitchers, but with motor and lights.

Thanks Mickey2. Totally understandable. It will take me a long time to figure out the rewire but if you have any resources on how to do it or what it's even supposed to look like, I would be grateful if you shared.
I have never had a hand crank so I am thinking I should have at least 1 machine with it. Cause, why not?
I have a treadle table for my 15-31 so I may try this 66 on that first.

FlipFlopGardening 10-18-2020 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8425788)
I love to do demos with my handcranks. folks life festivals and Kansas day at the museum. I adapted a brother to a handcrank when a young friend wanted to hand crank at a bra baking class. The middle picture showed a previous owner repair to a had crank. The cotter pin never came from Singer. It is part of the machine's history so Ieft it. The second picture shows an aftermarket Chisese HC>

Wow LEONF, if I'm ever in Kansas, I would love to see your machines. The 2nd photo with the girl in pink, what is that machine? I had to google what a cotter pin is. And I too agree that the machine needs to speak its own history. The aftermarket handcrank, what material is it made of? I have so much fun learning ahead of me. Thank you.

leonf 10-19-2020 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How much time do you have to see my machines? it will take a while. Then we can go to Tulsa, OK and see the VSM museum when it opens after covid.

Pink girl is using a
Singer 28 blackslide. It is a vibrating shuttle 3/4 machine. They made these VS machines until the early 1960s.

FlipFlopGardening 10-19-2020 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8426038)
How much time do you have to see my machines? it will take a while. Then we can go to Tulsa, OK and see the VSM museum when it opens after covid.

Pink girl is using a
Singer 28 blackslide. It is a vibrating shuttle 3/4 machine. They made these VS machines until the early 1960s.

Wow! That's gorgeous. I definitely think that's a month long type of visit :-) That's a whole of knowledge and fun in that picture. Thank you for sharing & prayerfully, post-covid, I can see those in person.