Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 99-13; stitch length adjustment, how to? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-99-13%3B-stitch-length-adjustment-how-t272838.html)

J Miller 11-30-2015 02:48 PM

Singer 99-13; stitch length adjustment, how to?

I'm working on a Singer 99-13 (1925 vintage) and the machine clatters like crazy. As best as I can tell the feed dogs are hitting at the rear of the slots on the needle plate. I have a ton of reverence material, and not one has actual instructions on how to adjust the fore and aft position of the feed dogs. Several mention it, but no instructions.

I don't want to over do the adjustments, I just want to move the feed dogs a bit forward so they don't contact the needle plate.

So anybody got a source for instructions for this adjustment?

Joe

J Miller 11-30-2015 03:06 PM

Additional info: Rear right corner of the feed dog body is also hitting the body of the machine at the curve. So it really does need to be adjusted.
Just looked it over and I'm not sure what to adjust the feed dogs.

Joe

Mickey2 11-30-2015 03:57 PM

I have never had the feed dog problem you have, but I assume you have to screw the stitch length adjuster knob all the way in, and that should give maximum movement of the feed dogs. After a quick look under my 99 (1934) I can only detect one screw involved with the feed dog part? The feed dog sort of rolles in a metal fork thing that turns on the movment of the rod there. Sorry amout my terminology, but I am interested in the old type 99.

liking quilting 11-30-2015 07:11 PM

That "reverence" should be j"reference" I'm guessing? You gave me a good laugh!

OurWorkbench 12-01-2015 03:21 AM

Joe, I don't know if it will help but I remember something about the 66, 99, 185 have a "feed raising bar" which has two rollers. While the machine will sew when they aren't rolling, they really are supposed to roll. Seems like I found out about them on yahoo groups but don't remember which one.

How close to the front do the feed dogs come? I just looked and my 99-13 comes about a little less than 1/32" in the front when set on the longest stitch. Is something preventing them from coming all the way to the front of the needle plate?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

J Miller 12-01-2015 06:43 AM

Janey,

The feed dogs are not jammed up, they just are set to far to the rear. The teeth hit the back of the slot of the needle plate and part of the feed dog under the needle plate is hitting the body of the machine. Has actualy deformed the corner a bit.

I've studied the feed dog adjustment under the needle plate and from what I can see all that does is raise and lower them. I need to find the adjustment to move them forward and backwards.

Joe

Rodney 12-01-2015 07:03 AM

I have a 99 I'll take a look at to see if I can help. I have my doubts though. If it has you stumped it'll probably do the same for me.
Rodney

J Miller 12-01-2015 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7391407)
I have a 99 I'll take a look at to see if I can help. I have my doubts though. If it has you stumped it'll probably do the same for me.
Rodney

Rodney,

I "think" the adjustment is where the front connecting rod attaches to the front cross rod. I had my 99K ( Rusty ) apart several years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember if there is an eccentric in the connector screw or not.
And my two 99s are still in Springfield in the storage locker.
The one I'm working on now is my SIL's and I can't "experiment" with it. This is my last task and want to get it right so she's happy.

Sigh ..................

Joe

J Miller 12-01-2015 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a pic of the bottom of a 99K:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536848[/ATTACH]

Can someone confirm the stitch length or feed dog position adjustment is at the connection on the right side?

Joe

sporter323 11-12-2017 09:33 AM

I have a Singer 99K and can’t see how to return to the original selected stitch length after backtacking. It has a paddle mechanism with no set screw to set the original stitch length. Am I missing something? I have done quite a bit of research with no luck.