Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 99k motor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-99k-motor-t244098.html)

J Miller 03-29-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by iadhikari (Post 6650265)
Trying to post a pic from my smartphone and can't figure it out. Sorry. I am taking it to my repair guy to see what to do with it. I think the bracket can probably be bent slightly. For the person who has a smoking, sparking motor, don't let a new motor that is only slightly off kilter scare you off! What other option do you have? A full rewire? Wouldn't that be more expensive?

The proper electrical cord will cost around 60¢ a foot or thereabouts. It takes maybe 13 feet to rewire an entire machine. I've don a bunch of them. I get the 18-2 SPT2 cord from Sew-Classic. For the machines that use 18-2 SPT1 cord I get that locally.

Joe

J Miller 03-29-2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 19cats (Post 6650286)
The new motor is the most expensive part. Since the machine was originally out on the curb, it would't hurt to take the motor off and look at it.

This is true. I have never replaced a motor unless:
A- it's missing
B- the cooling fan has fragged
C- I swiped the motor for another machine. I did that once for a special machine, my HOTHER. The donor got an Alpha Sew motor and works just fine.

JOe

19cats 03-29-2014 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=J Miller;6650297]This is true. I have never replaced a motor unless:
A- it's missing
B- the cooling fan has fragged
C- I swiped the motor for another machine. I did that once for a special machine, my HOTHER. The donor got an Alpha Sew motor and works just fine.

See what I mean? I wouldn't know if the cooling fan was fragged or not. Also, how do you know which cord to use --SPT1 or SPT2? The cord on there now is REALLY thin (as in thinner than the cord on a lamp) and that strikes me as inadequate.

J Miller 03-29-2014 09:50 AM

When you find one with a broken fan, you'll know it. They sound like all kinds of junk is rattling around inside.
Most Singer wiring systems use the 18-2 SPT2 wire. Cord block sets like the Japanese machines use usually use the 18-2 SPT1 wire. Non Singer motors can have either size insulation. I just replace the cord with the same size when I rewire them.

The only difference between the SPT1 and SPT2 is the SPT2 has thicker insulation. The actual wire inside is the same.

Find a piece of cord that is marked and strip some insulation from it. 18 gauge wire is very consistent in size. That is all I use on my rewires. No 20, no 16, just 18 ga wire.

Joe

iadhikari 03-29-2014 07:37 PM

My repair guy got the bracket bent enough to make it sit straight and all is good to go. He took it off the machine, disappeared into the back and came back with it straightened out. I should have asked him what he did! As for the cost of the motor, I got a 0.9 amp Alpha Sew motor and foot pedal for $36 on eBay. Just FYI. I kept the original motor and will open it up to see what I might be able to do so I can put it back on. Any good YouTube videos on that? ☺

tropit 03-30-2014 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6650294)
The proper electrical cord will cost around 60¢ a foot or thereabouts. It takes maybe 13 feet to rewire an entire machine. I've don a bunch of them. I get the 18-2 SPT2 cord from Sew-Classic. For the machines that use 18-2 SPT1 cord I get that locally.

Joe

Joe, I have a few motors that need servicing and rewiring. I would love to see a tut done on that as, personally, I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. Maybe when you're feeling back to yourself you'd consider doing one. :)
~ Cindy

J Miller 03-30-2014 06:19 AM

Cindy,

You might do a search on that. There have been a number of threads / tutes on rewiring done. I've got a ways to go before I could even consider doing something like that.

Joe

tropit 03-30-2014 06:25 AM

Yeah...I totally understand. We all want you to get better. I'll do a search...thanks.
~C