Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer came home:-) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-came-home-t290578.html)

tscweaves 08-19-2017 09:13 AM

Singer came home:-)

2 Attachment(s)
Around 10 years ago I had an old Singer that my aunt gave me. This was before I realized the joys of vintage-sewing-machines and I decided I wanted a new and modern machine. I gave my aunt's machine to a friend and bought a new, low-end Husqvarna. Needless to say, that Husky is long gone and I found a 401a in a cabinet and that was my only machine until this spring.

I contacted my friend and told him that the vintage-sewing-machine bug bit me and asked if he still had my old machine and was it being used. This morning it came home and I am just tickled to have it again. Here is Auntie Mary's 1956 Singer model 15. It needs a good spa day but it still moves freely and the electrics are good. I did not know that 15's were built in green and it still has all the matching cords. Now to find a decent case for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579184[/ATTACH]

It has the prettiest face plate, so sleek looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579185[/ATTACH]

19cats 08-19-2017 09:35 AM

What a beauty! Enjoy her.

Barb in Louisiana 08-19-2017 09:57 AM

She is so nice. You are so lucky that you got her back!

tscweaves 08-19-2017 10:04 AM

Thanks, I am thrilled to have it back. It always nibbled at the back of my mind that I gave it away.

I did some more research this morning, the model tag only has 15-, but it is a 15-125, one of the last 15's that Singer made before cranking out all the slant needles. The two-tone color and modern face plate was Singer's response to all of the colorful Japanese 15 clones. Nice to find this all out.

toverly 08-19-2017 11:15 AM

Congratulations on getting your Aunt's machine back. I know you will love her, she's a beauty.

SusieQOH 08-19-2017 12:20 PM

So glad you're reunited! :) What a pretty machine!!!!! I love old Singers too.

Mickey2 08-19-2017 01:01 PM

Very nice machine, a few signs of wear but still nice condition. My 99 has a bit more wear to the bed. Is it the original case? If it's still solid and sturdy enough, they can be reupholstered and given new inner lining. If you are a quilter, model 15 is ideal, and the green colour is a nice variant on it. I can't make out if it's gear driven or belt driven, but either way a very well behaved machine.

bkay 08-19-2017 02:00 PM

Mickey, It's a 15-91 in a new dress - potted motor, vertical bobbin and a sleek body. I have one, but it's not nearly that nice.

TSCweaves, great find. Glad you have it back.

bk

Mickey2 08-19-2017 02:08 PM

It looks very much like my 201K23, which is the aluminium version of the 201, mine is beige though, it never came in green as far as I know. The most common is the two tone version; beige with a few brown details. Model 99 was given the new look too, and introduced as 185 or something like that; I have seen green version on the web, but I have only come across the beige in my area. There is a rare model 15, made in Spain, all black; the bed has a dull finish, while the rest is shiny, it has the new updated loook too. I guess all the old models had to adjust to the new 400 series.

cashs_mom 08-19-2017 02:31 PM

What a pretty machine! I'm so glad you got it back!