Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Fashion Mate Model 237 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-fashion-mate-model-237-a-t311461.html)

OurWorkbench 06-21-2020 05:23 PM

I personally don't think the belt looks that bad. It sounds like you would prefer to have someone else service your machine. I guess I've always been someone that would like to tackle some things by myself, with maybe some advice or suggestions from someone like my brother. This machine is a little more than something like a 15-30, 27-4 or 66-1, but still not hard. The manual is pretty good about where to oil and lube. With it not being a black machine with decals, it is easier to clean the outside. I have read about sewing machine repair (I use that term very loosely) people that basically don't have a clue about good solid vintage machines. They will sometimes use lube that shouldn't be used which jams things up if left to sit. Some will say that it can't be fixed (possibly offer you a trade-in) and try to sell you a new machine. Then turn around and do a basic clean, lube and oil to sell on ebay or wherever at a jacked-up price. Granted some of the parts are not being made any more, but usually it is something that either doesn't need to be replaced or can be adjusted to work. I have one machine (about 112 years old) that the tension assembly was missing, but still made good stitches.

As far as oiling, one wants to use just regular "sewing machine oil" and most will recommend not 3-in-1 oil. As far as the lube, there are a couple of places that sell lubricant that is similar to the original Singer lubricant as far as properties go. The Singer lube formula has changed over the years. A lot of people will use regular Vaseline Petroleum Jelly or Tri-Flow grease.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Kelsie 06-21-2020 11:05 PM

I have a Singer 348 (Canadian) from 1967. I can tell it is a cousin of yours from your picture. Assuming your manual is similar to mine, it really is very detailed of what needs to be oiled or greased (if needed). Take a little time and go through the manual. I was afraid to get in there at first, never having dealt with anything motor or machinery, I did find a good repair man and had an initial tune-up done but have maintained my Stylemate now for 5 years. I enjoy being able to look after it myself.

I went to a quilting retreat last year. One project for taking a placemat and turning it into a bag. Her first instruction was to cut off the binding. Well I made my placemat myself and I put that binding on 2 or 3 times so I was not willing to do that. It turned out that she figured our machines could not stitch through what would be about 8 layers. Well I tried it - just like a hot knife through butter. Apparently at least some of the new machines are not able to do that. The other big point is that you probably have metal parts not plastic. They will probably out last us.

There are several on line stores for parts.

Welcome.

RavenBlack 06-25-2020 04:41 AM

I just got my 237 up and am working on oiling/lubing it so I can use it again. I bought it way back when and have used it through the years. I took it to be serviced back in 2014 and it came back humming. My Brother CX155 just froze up on me and I can't take it in because the repairman is so backed up, he might not accept new requests until August!

I have bought belts and such from my Baby Lock/ Janome dealer, and also at JoAnn and Walmart. Our JoAnn used to have a special rack that had bobbin case, needles, etc. You can try downloading the manual and doing the maintenance yourself as long as the motor sounds good. Good luck.

bkay 06-27-2020 05:40 AM

Generally speaking, there's really nothing to "tune up" on a vintage machine. Given your 237 has had light usage and little to no maintenance, it probably just needs a good oiling and greasing and replacement of the belt and bobbin tire. It's unlikely there is anything out of sorts with it. Those items are not expensive.

I'd try that and see what happens. You can't ruin anything doing those chores. If it sews well, you are home free and have little invested. If it doesn't work, you can always get it serviced.

In my area, you can get good service on vintage machines, but the minimum charge is usually around $100.00. A machine you purchase for $100. will not last as long as your vintage machine. Electronics deteriorate.

bkay