Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer feather weight 221 parts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-feather-weight-221-parts-t225118.html)

chergram 07-04-2013 09:42 AM

singer feather weight 221 parts

need help here have been on line looking at parts I want to quilt as you go blocks on my 221
do i need to buy a walking foot or stitch in ditch also do i need a special 1/4 inch foot for pieceing
blocks if so can someone tell me eho it is o here who has parts for sale thanks

caroloto 07-04-2013 01:04 PM

The foot that comes with it is pretty much a 1/4" Just measure to make sure it's a 1/4" if not I use painter tape to mark the 1/4" on my machines. I would get a walking foot if I were you to go though thick layers to keep it from puckering and you can buy them for around $20. I know some will tell you you need a spiecal walking foot with the single but I have a double feet (zig zag machines) that I use on all my machines including the Featherweight and have had no problems. Just make sure you buy a low shank walking foot.

franc36 07-04-2013 03:22 PM

I bought a 1/4" foot for my Featherweight from www.april1930s.com. It has a guard on the side and I love that presser foot! I also bought a walking foot from the same place; but I have never used it. I do my piecing on the Featherweight; but use my Bernina for quilting.

chergram 07-05-2013 05:53 AM

where do you get the walking foot for 20 I found one on april 1930 but it was 2895 also they have several I/4 feet not sure which would be best but will measure mine first thanks for the input

chergram 07-05-2013 05:57 AM

have never quilted on machine but going to give it a try am looking for easy quilt as you go information will try to do it
block by block if you have any site with the inf on viedo or pattern e mail it to me thanks excuse spelling

caroloto 07-05-2013 06:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Smoot...90#ht_50wt_917

franc36 07-05-2013 06:42 PM

You can get the walking foot for $25 from www.novamontgomery.com Her 1/4" foot is the same price as April1930. I have not seen the walking foot for $20; but you can probably find it for that price. I have been very pleased with the service of both April 1930 and Nova Montgomery. Nova has monthly tips on care of the Featherweight that I enjoy reading.

caroloto 07-05-2013 07:03 PM

I have bought 2 for under $20. including the shipping cost with the first one, neither are the cheap brand one either. The first one I got many, many years ago off ebay from one of the sewing part company that many here buy parts from still. Yet when they sell them on ebay the price is far more reasonable. The last one I picked up cause 2 are better then one right? lol that way when I can leave them on two different machines! Well anyway the last one I just got a couple of weeks ago with metal feet Alphasew for $13.86 at one of the local quilt shops. It is also the Quilt Shop Hop so I saved 15% from the normal price of $15.99. They still have a high shank and another low shank left. So look at your local Quilt Shops too!

Watch ebay and here is the link included, just when you bid remember to add the shipping cost when you place your bid and I'm sure you will get one for under $20. Also remember Featherweights use the low shank foot.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Feet-/41245/...&_skc=50&rt=nc

Gerbie 07-06-2013 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by chergram (Post 6159213)
need help here have been on line looking at parts I want to quilt as you go blocks on my 221
do i need to buy a walking foot or stitch in ditch also do i need a special 1/4 inch foot for pieceing
blocks if so can someone tell me eho it is o here who has parts for sale thanks

I bought a walking for my FW 221 and also a 1/4 inch quilting foot. I bought both of mine from Dave McCollom at The Featherweight RX, - you can also find him if you look up "The Featherweight 221 and I" That is a book he wrote and illustrated, great book, I use it to guide me when I have problems with my FW's. I am sure there are other sites you could find either or both, but that is where I found mine. Talk about the machine looking like a toy, well the FW walking foot really looks like a toy, compared to my walking foot for my Bernina, and it isn't huge. If you can't find the site, p.m. me and I will get my book and look up the web site for you.

jojo47 07-13-2013 11:57 AM

I got a Featherweight for my sister on a online auction, and she was happy to receive it. It came with a walking foot (the previous owner was a quilter and was downsizing her stash of machines), and I had a extra box of attachments that came with a machine I had purchased on an auction. The only thing she really lacks now is extra bobbins. We did play with the machine when I visited, and it runs well, but the thread bunches underneath. I'm thinking the bobbin is not right for the machine. She has several friend who have FWs and she's going to take her machine to their service person.