Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Feather Weight: FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-feather-weight-fmq-t204831.html)

jlm5419 11-01-2012 08:31 PM

I have heard of others who fmq on featherweights, but I am not among them. The machine is just too small. I can, however, heartily recommend a Singer 15-91 for fmq. There are others, but you will have best luck with a full size machine.

misskira 11-01-2012 08:52 PM

I fmqed panels for a coin purse... They were probably 5"x5". So I know it can be done for small projects. It's definitely strong enough to do it. That's a powerful little motor back there.

Debbie C 11-02-2012 04:02 AM

Congratulations on your FW and Happy Birthday - you're going to love yours. I just received my 3rd FW - a gift from my 86 year old mom. I went to Florida for her birthday 2 weeks ago and she told me 'there's something in the closet for you'. I looked in and found that precious little black box with a ribbon and bow on top! I have the best childhood memories (I'm 60) learning to sew on her. I think I shall call her 'Beatrice' for my mom!!

lovelyl 11-02-2012 04:35 AM

There is a video on Youtube that shows FMQ'ing on a FW. Try googling it!

quiltgal 11-02-2012 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5628216)
I read somewhere that they aren't recommended for FMQ on anything larger than a tote bag since the motor can overheat. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

This is not true! I do FMQ all the time with my Featherweights. Won a overall show first place ribbon for my last quilt about 40 x 40 inches.

quiltgal 11-02-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scrapper (Post 5627899)
YIPPEEE......I rcvd a FW for mee birthday..........I can't wait to lovey dovey up to this precious little gem...
Can anyone offer words of wisdom on how to set it up for FMQ....like dealing with the feed dogs since they cant be dropped.....I've not a lot of experience with FMQ either.....

Thanks for any quidance.......

You can use the freedogs or you can cover them. There were covers that were available for purchase when the Featherweights were new. I have one, but usually don't use it.

quiltgal 11-02-2012 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 5628371)
I have several and I wouldn't FM on them they are not made for that.

I got a feed dog cover in with the other accessories when I got my 1948 Featherweight. They are also several vintage books for sale on the internet about how to use them to do free motion sewing or quilting. Sorry, but you are wrong about that!

KyKaren1949 11-02-2012 02:08 PM

Like Monroe, I read that you shouldn't use them for FMQ also.

FLQ 11-03-2012 04:25 AM

I take mine in our RV. It's perfect size. I agree, FW not so good for fMQ.

Quiltlady330 11-03-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5628074)
Personally I would not consider using a Featherweight for FMQ, not heavy enough and short on surface space. But there a likely others that have. It is the perfect machine for piecing though.

I don't use mine for FMQ either. It sure sews like a dream, though. Just love it. Almost feel like I'm playing when I use it.