Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-featherweight-t288733.html)

JanH 06-04-2017 06:35 AM

Singer Featherweight

I just purchased a featherweight on line. I have been able to get the odor out of the case, but the machine reeks, probably cigarette smoke! I have cleaned with vinegar water, as well as bleach water. I used Q-tips to get into as many nooks & crannies as possible. It still has a horrendous odor. It is currently being serviced & he is going to try a citrus cleaner. Any other ideas? The machine is unusable at present. Thank you.

cashs_mom 06-04-2017 07:25 AM

I had a piece of antique furniture that had an awful odor in the drawers and cabinets underneath. Citrus cleaner was the only thing that helped and it finally got rid of the smell.

After you clean it, you might try putting it back in the case with cotton balls soaked in the citrus cleaner. That can sometimes get rid of smells. Something else I had good luck with in my house was Febreze. It helped a lot.

Cari-in-Oly 06-04-2017 09:29 AM

Oh my. Bleach water on a black machine? You're lucky you didn't destroy the surface of the machine. Never use water on a black machine. Did you take the bottom off and remove/replace the drip pad? That's usually the cause of foul odors.

Cari

Daylesewblessed 06-04-2017 01:56 PM

I agree with Cari about the drip pad. I can't think of anything else on the machine that would retain odors like it does.

JanH 06-04-2017 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7837265)
Oh my. Bleach water on a black machine? You're lucky you didn't destroy the surface of the machine. Never use water on a black machine. Did you take the bottom off and remove/replace the drip pad? That's usually the cause of foul odors.

Cari

Sorry. Forgot to mention is a white machine and it was very diluted bleach water.

JanH 06-04-2017 02:25 PM

Sorry, forgot to say it is a white machine. Actually, very yellow from nicotine, but closer to a white tone now. It did not have a metal base plate, but an old pressed wood (1960s or 70s) paneling. It will be replaced because a great deal of odor is in that piece. Even when the wood is outside, the machine retains a definite stench.

JanH 06-04-2017 02:28 PM

I also used very diluted bleach water, probably 1 part to 20 part and rinsed & dried each place as I went. Finish seems to be okay.

Cari-in-Oly 06-04-2017 02:55 PM

You may need to set the machine in a pan with cat litter or baking soda or activated charcoal, etc... and put the whole thing in a garbage bag for a few days. You have kind of a unique situation with no bottom to your machine.

Cari

MFord 06-04-2017 06:55 PM

I still swear by crumpled up newspaper. I'd try it with the machine in a bag for a couple of days, then replace the newspaper and go on maybe a few more replacements. Got the odor out of my FW case.

Sandra in Minnesota 06-04-2017 07:27 PM

It is quite normal for these FW cases have an odor to them. I put a strong hand soap like Irish Spring in the case, and close the case.