Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-featherweights-%7E-whats-big-deal-t187568.html)

kitsykeel 04-29-2012 05:19 PM

Hi Labradorsmom,

I am so glad you responded to the wonderful FW revues and are gong to pick her up today. Let us know how you like her. Was she free or did you have to pay for her and how much if you don't mind my asking? It's not really being nosy, we just like to know when someone gets a good deal.

KyKaren1949 04-30-2012 04:06 AM

I Love the Featherweights! I initially intended to buy 1. Well, Five Featherweights later, I will tell you I am finished buying them.....UNLESS I find another one at a good price!!! I sew on all five of mine by alternately taking each one with me to workshops and retreats. I have had all kinds of problems with my Janomes, but never a problem with my Featherweights. It's the cutest thing I've ever had. I've also used them to teach kiddos to sew and they LOVE using them because they're small and less intimidating.

karensue 04-30-2012 04:27 AM

I have several tol machines but I fell in love instantly with the Singer fetherweight - in the past 2 months hubby has bought me 4 of them (from ebay) plus the Singer Pinker, and the hand crank Wilcox & Gibbs (no bobbin and does beautiful stitches that look like embroidery on the back of the fabric - who would have thought?).

He has paid anywhere from $400 to $1350 for them. All came with cases, and one with a wooden case that he has been restoring for me. What can I say, he gets on a roll at times, and like my mother says - let him go as long as he can afford it. We don't take vacations and it's just the 2 of us now so we enjoy our hobbies and our home, and I am retired. My mom even got one since I got mine.

The featherweight sews a perfect stitch for me.

I just got done doing 2 jelly rolls of 42 strips each (together) and just put that cute little machine on my kitchen table and sewed away. It even has the fabric/seam guide so it was great.

My kitchen is sunny so sometimes I just want to stay in there and my other machines are a pain to move (heavy and big). It was heaven to just sew in there.

After using this the first time I decided that it was the one that would go to any classes with me for quilting (straignt seams).

It's a wonderful machine.

KarenSue

Latrinka 04-30-2012 01:44 PM

I don't know, never had one!

J Miller 04-30-2012 01:59 PM

I like KarenSue's explanation. So so very true. Except we've only got one and haven't used it much yet.

Joe

DonnaQuilts 04-30-2012 08:48 PM

I agree with you, Joe. The prices are supported at an artificially high level by dealers. Sort of like DeBeers and their diamond cartel. It's good news for them. They are cute though. I have enjoyed cleaning and polishing it. It sews alright and is light to carry to sit and sews. That's about it.

Nagi 04-30-2012 08:49 PM

I have two and looking for a third...I call them my babies nice to sew with and not heavy to take to quilting classes or any where else.

Jean54 05-01-2012 03:59 AM

I've wondered the same thing. I inherited one from my mother-in-law and have yet to use it for quilting. I have tried it out and it does sew very neat, smooth stitches. I will be interested to see responses.

Annaquilts 05-01-2012 04:08 AM

They are cute, small, sew a nice straight stitch and are a kind of status symbol must have. I have several and lately piece a majority of my quilts on a white one. It took me about 10 years to start using mine. DH has always been in love with them and has sewn on them from the begining. We aquired the first one of a garage sale. He was the one that actually bough that one for $100.

Teri D 05-01-2012 06:37 AM

When I discovered that my Mom's "old" Singer that was stuck away in the back of a closet was a Featherweight in near perfect condition (with attachments), you could have heard my screams of delight for miles! It's a wonderful machine to sew with but I also feel my Mom's hand on my shoulder every time I use it.

I've managed to obtain a free motion set up for it (with a cover for the feed dogs) and also a generic walking foot that fits it but I mainly use it for piecing and for paper piecing since I can set it up anywhere so easily.