Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Machines Running Sounds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-machines-running-sounds-t183649.html)

Blackberry 03-22-2012 06:04 AM

Singer Machines Running Sounds

I have several vintage Singer machines and there is quite a bit of difference in their running sounds. My 201 has a very, very quiet sound, my 15-91's are a bit noisier but my 99K seems to have the loundest and somewhat laborious sound. Is the noise difference due to the motors, or have I not oiled them properly. I have followed the manuals in every case for oiling points.

J Miller 03-22-2012 06:27 AM

Blackberry,

I've noticed the same things. Those that sound like they are struggling could need oil, or it could be the motor, ~or~ the belt could be too tight.

When I was cleaning and refurbing the Featherweight I got for my wife I put a new cogged belt on it. I had it adjusted where I thought it should be, tightness wise, but when I tried to use it nothing happened but the motor grunting, groaning, and buzzing. It had run fine with the old belt. So I loosened up the belt. I had to loosen it up a lot.
Once it was looser and the motor could turn it, it felt as you said laborious until I got the belt tension just right. After that it runs just fine.

Joe

mighty 03-22-2012 06:52 AM

I have noticed the same thing, thanks for the advice Joe!!!

janeite 03-22-2012 12:28 PM

I recently compared the noise of two 301's and they sounded very different to me. Both sew great and are oiled. I haven't learned to serivce motors yet, so it could be that one is older and dirtier?

Charlee 03-22-2012 03:39 PM

If the spousal unit is using one of my machines in another room, I can tell which one it is by the sound of it. They all sound different!

jazzykwilter 03-23-2012 04:37 AM

I have a 301A which I bought on E-bay which has a rattling sound but which runs great after it was fully serviced. The tech said it had a broken "fin" and I don't know what that is. He doesn't speak English very well so I'm not even sure what that is, I asked him to look for a replacement part but no response since. Anybody have any ideas?

J Miller 03-23-2012 04:41 AM

The "fin" could have been a broken blade on the motor's cooling fan.

Joe

jazzykwilter 03-23-2012 04:59 AM

That would make sense.

mackenzie 03-23-2012 05:02 AM

Singer Machines Running Sounds

I notice that my Featherweight and my 301 make a noise that sounds like brushes or I want to say bushings? I haven't gotten into the repairing end yet, could someone tell me what that noise means? I am almost afraid to ask, if it means something big! Thanks much...

purplefiend 03-24-2012 08:02 AM

I use mostly Singer treadles lately, the 201 is my favorite Randy is such a quiet boy, however Kari the 15-90 is much louder in comparison. Both machines are oiled properly and sew great. When properly oiled the 201 is nearly silent.
Sharon W.