Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer SS diagnostic question for you. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-ss-diagnostic-question-you-t248226.html)

J Miller 06-11-2014 12:11 PM

JoAnn,

Candace is right, FWs are slow in comparison to other machines.

Candace,
Checked the timing on the one I'm working on, the hook point is at least 1/8 inch past the needle, so I'll have to retime it.

Joe

KenZ 06-11-2014 12:38 PM

Joe,
Check to see how the top thread is feeding off of your cone or spool. If it jerks, stitches will be skipped. I find that with a featherweight using a stand with cone thread works the best.

Candace 06-11-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6754589)
JoAnn,

Candace is right, FWs are slow in comparison to other machines.

Candace,
Checked the timing on the one I'm working on, the hook point is at least 1/8 inch past the needle, so I'll have to retime it.

Joe

Yup, that's your problem. It should be fine after that.

J Miller 06-11-2014 02:05 PM

Ken,

Problem with this FW does not vary with cross wound or regular threads.

Candace,
I still haven't gotten to it. Been nursing a very sore neck lately and it's not helping my desire to do things.

Joe

oldtnquiltinglady 06-11-2014 05:33 PM

Hey, Candace, you just gave me a good idea. I have three 301s sitting out in my sewing room, and love only one of them. I might offer her one of them as a trade for the FW, that is if she does feel unhappy with the FW. They do sew beautifully; but she may be so enamored of her FW by now that she won't be impressed with the 301. She is supposed to come spend a few days with us here in Tennessee next month; so I just might check this little matter out.

Candace 06-11-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 6754954)
Hey, Candace, you just gave me a good idea. I have three 301s sitting out in my sewing room, and love only one of them. I might offer her one of them as a trade for the FW, that is if she does feel unhappy with the FW. They do sew beautifully; but she may be so enamored of her FW by now that she won't be impressed with the 301. She is supposed to come spend a few days with us here in Tennessee next month; so I just might check this little matter out.

Let her try one and see what she thinks. Tell her the 301 will FMQ and the feed dogs drop and she may be more interested.

KenZ 06-11-2014 07:17 PM

Joe,
Sorry I was not clear. I was attempting to say that with featherweights running at high speeds, the thread can jerk off of the spool or cone. If the thread is not traveling to the tension disks smoothly it can cause skipped stitches. Try watching the thread feed out at high speeds. I hope this is stated a little more clearly.

PS. Does Rusty have a box to set on yet?

J Miller 06-11-2014 07:34 PM

Ken,

OK, I understand about the thread. The timing is still off so I'll have to address that first.

Nope, Rusty still doesn't have a home. Those 3/4 size cases are unobtainium.

Joe

ArchaicArcane 06-11-2014 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by KenZ (Post 6755079)
Joe,
Sorry I was not clear. I was attempting to say that with featherweights running at high speeds, the thread can jerk off of the spool or cone.

True that! I've actually had cross wound spools jump of featherweights. I suppose that's about the same as getting pulled over by the rolling tax collectors...

misseva 06-12-2014 12:31 PM

I've had regular spools of thread jump off my FW when winding a bobbin.