Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Touch N Sew 770 issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-touch-n-sew-770-issue-t188865.html)

Whigrose 05-13-2012 07:52 AM

Singer Touch N Sew 770 issue

Hi all,
I met up with a friend last night and during our conversation about antique and vintage machines she mentioned she is having an issue with her Singer Touch and Sew 770. When she sews the top thread is beautiful stitch but the bottom thread is a mess. This is a person who knows her way around machines pretty well. We ran through the first steps pretty quickly- threading, needle, bobbin threading, etc.

I told her I would post to a board I belong to where folks are pretty darn knowledgable to see if we can find the answer.

If you have any suggestions to help the mystery, she would be greatful. She really doesn't want to send the machine to the recycling center. Like most of us, she has multiple machines. :-) Good girl.

thank you.
best,
d

BobbiG 05-14-2012 07:31 AM

The T & S machines are really picky about inserting a prewound bobbin. Fill an empty bobbin and see how it sews then. Also make sure the thread is properly set in the tension disks. Good Luck!

DonnaQuilts 05-14-2012 03:52 PM

I had that problem once and it was caused by the needle.

SingerSewer 05-14-2012 05:14 PM

I think it could be the bobbin. If using a regular bobbin make sure it is screwed together securely and rewind it. I have had them strip and would not work properly.

Tartan 05-14-2012 05:30 PM

I had a singer touch & sew ages ago and it worked great until the bobbins wore out. At that time I couldn't find new bobbins so I ended up trading it in. If it is the same bobbin...about an inch circle that screws apart, it has a little plastic nub on the bottom that can get worn. Check to see the condition of her bobbins. You might be able to find replacement bobbins on the net now?

barny 05-14-2012 05:47 PM

Tartan is correct. I've had bobbin problems. The plastic ones are easy to get a little notch on the edge and it'll grab the bobbin thread and a mess ensues. also finding the right size is trouble tool Also the bottom notch per Tartan

Daylesewblessed 05-14-2012 06:28 PM

I recently "rescued" a Golden Touch and Sew 750. It has similar symptoms to those you describe. In this machine, the little arm that holds the bobbin in has no strength or "spring" to it. Although the bobbin fits in the case ok, it doesn't have any pressure on it to stay securely seated. In my case, I need to replace that part.
Dayle

psychonurse 05-15-2012 04:46 AM

I just took my friends Touch and Throw to the recycle center this week. The gears were worn and the bobbin racer was broken. It was 150$ to fix it, not really worth it.

Robin Catwoman 06-06-2012 03:59 PM

If the top thread and the bobbin thread are of different thickness the bobbin thread can really tangle up. The machine is also happier with a "normal" thread not the thinner threads we are using more now to piece with. Mine is 44 yrs old and just had it looked over. it still sews fine. It was my first machine received for my 16th birthday.