Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer touch and sew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-touch-sew-t187012.html)

lenette 04-25-2012 06:47 AM

Never heard anything good about them and hated the one I used. It was my sister-in-laws, and she always thought the problem was her. After I had to use it and it was horrible, she got rid of it and got a Viking. That was in 1973.

carolynjo 04-25-2012 12:00 PM

I sewed in a costume shop (Little Theatre) on a Touch and Sew and it was great. No problems whatsoever.

miriam 04-25-2012 01:14 PM

The 401, 403, 500 or 503 are a much better choice.

marlysm 04-25-2012 04:49 PM

I have a Singer Touch and Sew that I bought new in 1975. I am still using it. I love the bobbin winder in the machine! I don't use the cams a lot, but I like the feather stitch and use it frequently. The bobbins can still be found in Singer shops.

VernaL 04-25-2012 07:17 PM

I had one years ago and it was a nightmare most of the time. The tension was terrible and couldn't ever be adjusted right and it was in the shop a lot. When, I finally traded it in, the dealer said that they got a lot of them as trade-ins and were sold for $50.00 a truck-load in Mexico. I traded it in for a Bernina and have never looked back.

lizzy 05-09-2012 02:37 AM

I would stay away from any vintage machine that has plastic gears. The Singer 401 is the best vintage machine for not too much money. Ebay has some listed for as little as $100. That is where I bought mine and have really enjoyed the machine. I was careful to buy one that could be returned if not working.

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 5166109)
I bought my first Touch and Sew in 1969 with my babysitting money. I sewed on it until I bought my first Bernina in 1976. I liked the machine but many of them required extensive repairs as the plastic/nylon gears wore out, cracked and broke. I wouldn't buy it without trying it out first. It also takes a specific bobbin and winds in the machine after pushing a button to fill and this also sometimes gives trouble.

miriam 05-09-2012 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by VernaL (Post 5170259)
I had one years ago and it was a nightmare most of the time. The tension was terrible and couldn't ever be adjusted right and it was in the shop a lot. When, I finally traded it in, the dealer said that they got a lot of them as trade-ins and were sold for $50.00 a truck-load in Mexico. I traded it in for a Bernina and have never looked back.

Some dealers will do that just to make a sale. I bet you could have had that fixed somewhere that wasn't trying to sell you a new one.
I am learning to work on those old T&S machines - they are better than the new plastic garbage machines.

BeverlyH 05-09-2012 03:42 AM

I bought one at an estate sale and when I got it home and tried to use it, it the motor makes a smell. Sure was disappointed!

J Miller 05-09-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BeverlyH (Post 5203998)
I bought one at an estate sale and when I got it home and tried to use it, it the motor makes a smell. Sure was disappointed!

If the "smell" is not burning wires or melting plastic it's from sitting. The motors inside those machines are open to the dust and debris that float through the insides of the machine.

Here is what my SMG said to do: Take off the belt, (it probably needs replaced anyway), then run it at wide open for a while. If it's still cranky hose the brushes and area with lighter fluid, then run it. ( Do the lighter fluid deal outside, it can ignite).

So, in lieu of all that, just turn the darn thing on and run the snot out of it. :)

Joe

irishrose 05-09-2012 05:50 PM

I rescued one on its way to the dumpster last year. It sews a great straight stitch, but clunks when asked to ZZ. My GD made a quilt on it last Summer and has taken it home.