Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer treadle saved from the dumpster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-treadle-saved-dumpster-t296074.html)

Edseljeff 04-09-2018 08:51 AM

Singer treadle saved from the dumpster

2 Attachment(s)
Can you believe someone would put this in a dumpster??? Looks and sews great!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592509[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592510[/ATTACH]

Mickey2 04-09-2018 10:35 AM

I know people have picked up all kinds of very expensive and valuable items from the dumpster, so I should't be too surpised. A nice 66 like that should in theory be easy to sell, it's a very early production (just after 1900) because of the back clamp foot. The red eye decals are very sought after by some and on yours they are in good condition. Be careful with them when you clean. There is a lady who sells a converter for the back clamp presser bar, and it will take the basic side clamp feet too. The machine might shine up further, and if there's sign of flaking it's often best not use sewing machine oil, but something else when you clean and polish it up. Oil can seep under there and give a sort of brownish opaque staining.

I don't know how used you are to get and old sewing machine back into shape, but very often you have to detect all the oil points, take off all plates and cover, clean under the bobbin case and around the feed dogs. Oil daily and do a bit of test sewing, even when you think it runs fine, it takes time to flush out sticky grime from the inners of joints and hinges. The stitch length knob should be oiled too, a drop on the threading and turn it in and out a few times. When oiling and test stitching you might as well keep it on maximum stitch length.

Best of luck :- )

cashs_mom 04-09-2018 10:58 AM

Amazing what people will just trash because in their limited view, they see no value in it.

osewme 04-09-2018 11:00 AM

Wow! I wish I could find things like that in a dumpster. I would love to have a treadle machine.

quiltsRfun 04-09-2018 11:18 AM

What a beauty. Glad you rescued it before trash pickup day.

Tartan 04-09-2018 01:39 PM

Great machine and cabinet! I hope it was beside the dumpster and you didn't have to haul it up and out of the dumpster.

KalamaQuilts 04-09-2018 03:12 PM

I can understand it. Our garage is full of good stuff I'd have no use for.

luvstoquilt 04-10-2018 04:30 AM

Where are you? Not ever found around here and Featherweights go for big $$$$!

copycat 04-11-2018 02:38 AM

Oh my gosh...tell us how you came upon seeing this treasure. Congrats!

Edseljeff 04-11-2018 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 8038165)
Oh my gosh...tell us how you came upon seeing this treasure. Congrats!

My brother called me one day and told me some friends of his were going to put an old treadle sewing machine in the dumpster and did I want it. He knows I collect vintage sewing machines. He loaded it up and put it in his garage. I went, expecting to see a piece of junk but instead it was in extremely good condition. The decals are in great condition. I think the cabinet may been refinished at some point because the finish on the wood is so nice. It even still had the leather belt on it. Brought it home, oiled it and wiped it down and it sews a beautiful straight stitch. According to the serial number it was made in 1919-1920. As they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.