Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is this Singer Worth Saving ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-worth-saving-t236196.html)

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 12:55 PM

Is this Singer Worth Saving ?

1 Attachment(s)
hi all,

chanced upon a Singer on CL and owner is not far from me. since i am a newbie and love restoring antique machines (love bug has caught me - thanks to you guys) i just wanted to run by you and ask if this is worth saving and if the machine is worth $25? thanks again.

Rodney 12-06-2013 01:30 PM

Looks like it might be a Singer 128, I'm not 100% sure though. I think it's worth the money -at least from that picture. The bentwood case looks like it's in good condition and the decals on the body are intact. Looks like the shuttle for the bobbin is there, see if they still have the cover plates for it. My daughter's Singer 101 is missing the bobbin cover plate and it runs for $20 or more. I don't know what they would cost for yours. Other than that I'm guessing a good cleaning and oiling is most likely all it needs to run.
Looks like another bentwood case to the left of it. The seller may be selling more than one.
Rodney

miriam 12-06-2013 01:52 PM

see Glenn about that 'dust' before you do anything. Yes well worth it if it is still there.

SteveH 12-06-2013 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is what it can look like when cleaned up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450226[/ATTACH]

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6442616)
Looks like it might be a Singer 128, see if they still have the cover plates for it. My daughter's Singer 101 is missing the bobbin cover plate and it runs for $20 or more. I don't know what they would cost for yours. Other than that I'm guessing a good cleaning and oiling is most likely all it needs to run.
Looks like another bentwood case to the left of it. The seller may be selling more than one.
Rodney

checked and if bobbin plate cover is missing it runs about $20. the other machine was sold when i called him. this is the only one he has. one is an old westinghouse sewing machine that someone will pick up tonight. thanks Rodney.

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6442655)
see Glenn about that 'dust' before you do anything. Yes well worth it if it is still there.

yes. still there. just talked to him and i will pick up tomorrow. i asked if he can give it away for $20 and he said there are so many inquiries. i believe him as he has more machines that got sold and one to be picked up tonight (an old westinghouse sewing machine ????). i will update you guys when i see it tomorrow. he can't tell me if the motor is running as it's in the warehouse. thanks miriam. who's GLENN (sorry for my dumb question) ??

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6442698)
here is what it can look like when cleaned up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450226[/ATTACH]

that's a nice one. is that one of your machines ?

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks guys for the advise. appreciate it. i will check it tomorrow.

HERE's ANOTHER ONE - a 99K. in good condition with knee controller. recently oiled and serviced. i already have a 99K (the rare aluminum model) but it is missing the knee controller. i am thinking of getting this and putting on my 99K as mine has more history. is this 99K machine worth $50 ?

miriam 12-06-2013 03:46 PM

yes it is worth that - very nice machines.

vmaniqui 12-06-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6442794)
yes it is worth that - very nice machines.

hmm i guess i will both check them out. i think it's all worth it also. thanks a lot. ohhh no. i got infected by this antique love bug. help.