Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Skipping Stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/skipping-stitches-t266639.html)

Blackberry 06-20-2015 06:45 AM

Skipping Stitches

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a beautiful machine that I found at an estate sale for $15. The case is in very good condition and the machine is working very well after a bath of sewing machine oil. However, there are two problems, it randomly skips stitches and the top thread doesn't readily release when the material is pulled from the machine at the end of a seam. I have changed the needle twice, changed the thread twice, changed the bobbin, rethreaded the machine and I just can't figure out what else to do. So, here I am, asking the experts for help with this problem.

Rodney 06-20-2015 08:54 AM

I hate small intermittent problems. They can be the worst ones to solve. Pretty machine and it's in great condition other than that though.
Rodney

Cari-in-Oly 06-20-2015 10:52 AM

I have several ss clones and love them. If you're sure the needle is in correctly and it's threaded right, check for needle strike marks at the needle hole. For the other issue, make sure the take up lever is just over the top of its travel when you pull the thread. The stitch is complete at that point and should pull easily once you've raised the presser foot. If it doesn't, either the upper or lower tension needs looked at. The upper may not be releasing completely or the lower is too tight. Just my thoughts. It's a beauty, BTW.

Cari

manicmike 06-20-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blackberry (Post 7232684)
there are two problems, it randomly skips stitches and the top thread doesn't readily release when the material is pulled from the machine at the end of a seam.

Some Singer 15s (earlier ones) thread left to right, later ones with reverse thread right to left. Your clone has reverse, so how are you threading it? Do you have the manual? Needle in the wrong way and threading the wrong way are the most common reason for skipped stitches.

The generic manual I have suggests flat to the right, thread left to right, unlike a Singer but I would try both ways. Whichever way the needle is in, the thread is inserted from the other side.

Top thread not releasing is usually caused by rust or dirt in the tension discs but sometimes it's just that the release pin is worn down.

Mgrubbs 06-21-2015 01:55 PM

Have you tried cleaning out the bobbin area? May just be lent and fuzz!

NopahDesertRat 06-22-2015 06:34 PM

I had a Singer 237 do that too. Just was madding. I cleaned and oiled and it still skipped. Finally I realized the drop feed lever was only partially working. I oiled and cleaned and re-oiled and finally got it loose and guess what, no more skipped stitches.

I had another machine that someone had put a thick white grease on the bullet that is supposed to slide lowering the feed dogs, and the grease had turned to white solid not letting anything move. Finally scrapped and dissolved it and then no more skips.

Ethel

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 06-23-2015 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat (Post 7235347)
I had a Singer 237 do that too. Just was madding. I cleaned and oiled and it still skipped. Finally I realized the drop feed lever was only partially working. I oiled and cleaned and re-oiled and finally got it loose and guess what, no more skipped stitches.

I had another machine that someone had put a thick white grease on the bullet that is supposed to slide lowering the feed dogs, and the grease had turned to white solid not letting anything move. Finally scrapped and dissolved it and then no more skips.

Ethel

Yeah, 'gunk' and 'lint' have probably caused more sewing machine troubles than everything else put together! Especially when the gunk and lint are put together! Fuzzcrud, the super villain of sewing machines.

Sewnoma 06-23-2015 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon (Post 7235702)
Fuzzcrud, the super villain of sewing machines.

:D LOL!! That phrase is going to be stuck in my head all day now. Thank you! LOL