Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   small victory! itty bitty, on Midgets, New Homes and getting one to wind a bobbin for (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/small-victory-itty-bitty-midgets-new-homes-getting-one-wind-bobbin-t245042.html)

oldsewnsew 04-12-2014 02:22 PM

small victory! itty bitty, on Midgets, New Homes and getting one to wind a bobbin for

4 Attachment(s)
So I got this little New Home Midget, running tickety-boo, it's a little noisier than my original find that was missing shuttle and bobbin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471358[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]471359[/ATTACH]
I haven't actually wound it's little bobbin yet, still using thread that is who knows how old. But this little bobbin winder solution, was just right to fix another problem child.
Here's the little ones bobbin winder, [ATTACH=CONFIG]471360[/ATTACH] As a matter of fact, that's so easy, I can copy it to the piece missing from my original "Little Worker"[ATTACH=CONFIG]471361[/ATTACH]

But wait! there's more! I had this little New National, which is actually New Home Type U. It had a disastrous time in shipment, and the left half of its bobbin winder had broken off.
I'm going to stop and make a Part II.

oldsewnsew 04-12-2014 02:34 PM

small victory! Part II.

4 Attachment(s)
The New National/New Home/On the mend special. [ATTACH=CONFIG]471362[/ATTACH]
I've got the base almost ready for finish. Tiny little crumbs of walnut have been put back together jig-saw puzzle style. But that's for another post. Right now we're focusing on the bobbin winder, and believe me, I looked to find one, no luck. So here' my solution and it works pretty sweet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]471363[/ATTACH](Before) [ATTACH=CONFIG]471364[/ATTACH] (After) I chose to grind down what was left of the broken off casting to give me a level playing field. Then, using the existing mounting screw to mount this little bracket I made from a piece of Stainless Steel hobby metal that was 1/2"wide by about .015" thick (coulda shoulda used probly .030") And the end result, is, a wound bobbin! WOO-HOO![ATTACH=CONFIG]471365[/ATTACH] If you want to see how the base is going, let me know...

oldsewnsew 04-12-2014 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471367[/ATTACH]That's the way the working one looked when I got it, tremendous ebay packaging job...seriously, almost over-kill.

Cogito 04-12-2014 06:09 PM

Oh Jim, all fabulous! I am so very very envious! I would love one of those...but I am also envious of your skills to create missing parts!

minibarn 04-12-2014 07:25 PM

Very smart fix for the bobbin winder! And, neat little machines.

Jp

Rodney 04-12-2014 07:32 PM

Nifty little machines and a very good solution to the broken bobbin winder. Must resist urge to find one for me...
No such thing as overkill when it comes to packaging anything these days. Shippers don't have the time or the inclination to care about handling packages gently.
Rodney

J Miller 04-13-2014 05:29 AM

Jim,

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome ....... :) You did good one that one. Now that you have a prototype, get the thicker material and make a permanent one. Then paint it black and it will blend right in.

Joe

oldsewnsew 04-13-2014 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6673201)
Jim,

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome ....... :) You did good one that one. Now that you have a prototype, get the thicker material and make a permanent one. Then paint it black and it will blend right in.

Joe

Joe, yeah, I'm working on how to make one that looks "period" maybe brass with some intricacy thrown in. Or okay, paint it black. I will be making a copy of the Midget one to go on the Little Worker, as it doesn't have one. The other thing I noticed that's frustrating, is that almost all the fasteners that New Home used for things is a very non-std 6-28 thread, and I have yet to locate a tap or die for that size. I thought about taking the "junker" Little Worker and putting in helicoils for 6-32. That would give me some extra screws for other New Home SM's.

Mariposa 04-13-2014 02:35 PM

Neat little machines!!