Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Snap! crackle! pop! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/snap-crackle-pop-t250376.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 07-18-2014 03:55 PM

Snap! crackle! pop!

Or maybe it was a sputter and fizz with smelly smoke. It all happened so fast!

I am trying to wire up my Pfaff 130. It came with a motor and a lamp, but no foot control and no wires. I have it un-frozen and want to get it wired up. I have tested the motor seperately and it runs. I have tested the lamp and it's good. I purchased a cord and used it on the lamp and all was good so I am pretty sure the cord is fine. That leaves my wiring or the foot controller.

For the wiring. I am attaching to a 3 prong terminal as follows: Motor to 1 and 3, lamp to 2 and 3, foot controller to 1 and 2.

I would like to open the foot controller and see if I can find anything. I am guessing it's the problem. I will look for any scorched spots inside but is there a way to test it? I don't want to try another foot controller and have it do the same thing!

singerguy 07-18-2014 04:29 PM

Try a working foot controller. If that one is working then your old one is the culprit.

J Miller 07-18-2014 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Christy,

I think you created a short circuit. Here is a generic wiring diagram for the motor, light, power cord and controller:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483943[/ATTACH]

I have used this wiring diagram and it works.

Pull the controller apart and check it for damage. Then if none is found, rewire everything and try again.

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 07-18-2014 05:24 PM

Thanks. I will double check everything. I HAD that diagram right in front of me too but I was persistant in putting the motor back how it was when it came to me.

First I have to take a break and dry a wet dog lol! Then back to the drawing board to re-check everything.

singerguy 07-18-2014 05:30 PM

it should be : power: 1-3, lamp 1-3, motor 2-3, foot controller 1-2

manicmike 07-18-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 6807456)
it should be : power: 1-3, lamp 1-3, motor 2-3, foot controller 1-2

That's if you can't see Joe's diagram... :D

Mrs. SewNSew 07-18-2014 07:57 PM

OK, I had already disassembled it before I even checked but I went ahead and re-wired it. THAT is the same exact diagram I use so I checked and double checked I had the proper wiring going on. I tried again and got the same problem. OK. I switched for another foot controller and got the same result.

Since the lamp works, motor works, terminal..how do you really mess that up??, and the foot controllers both give same result, I HAVE to suspect the cord. I got it off eBay. Probably nuff said.

singerguy 07-18-2014 08:19 PM

Since you've eliminated all the possible causes except the cord, get a new one and try it. You might be right about the cord. And if not I am guessing that there's something strange going on. Can you post pics of your setup?

Mrs. SewNSew 07-18-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 6807661)
Since you've eliminated all the possible causes except the cord, get a new one and try it. You might be right about the cord. And if not I am guessing that there's something strange going on. Can you post pics of your setup?

Singerguy. I am headed for bed soon but will post pics tomorrow. I ordered a new cord off Sew-Classic tonight so I will keep my fingers crossed.

manicmike 07-18-2014 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6807646)
Since the lamp works, motor works, terminal..how do you really mess that up??, and the foot controllers both give same result, I HAVE to suspect the cord. I got it off eBay. Probably nuff said.

I'd agree with you there. It sounds like the wire to the FC is shorting somewhere (usually near one of the ends). You really need a circuit tester/multimeter. Unplug it and test continuity between everything that has power running through it normally.

I'm always amazed at what eBayers send me. Last machine (a 320K2) had this wrong:
1) A motor brush was broken
2) Someone had re-wired the plug and put the live wire on the wrong terminal
3) It had the wrong needle type inserted and the hook timing was out (probably so the longer needle would stop hitting the bobbin case)
4) The motor was unacceptably noisy because someone has reassembled it without the spring clip (that stops the stator from bouncing around inside the casing).

As if that wasn't enough, he packed it by wrapping it in a disassembled cardboard box and by some miracle only the pattern cam box broke. Told him all of this and he apologised and said it was still cheap (which was true) but if I were a regular punter this would have cost a small fortune to repair.

You're probably doing OK if there's only one thing wrong with it :p Replacing a wire is easy, especially on a Pfaff.