Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Snuck in when I wasn't looking, Necchi 534fb (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/snuck-when-i-wasnt-looking-necchi-534fb-t293582.html)

leonf 12-27-2017 01:13 PM

Snuck in when I wasn't looking, Necchi 534fb

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure when this jumped into the stable. Newer than I usually I pick up.. but it is a Necchi right? Well not Italian. I enjoyed messing with it. Locked up solid when I started tinkering but it all came back to life. One little time bomb under the bed, so I didn't get near that screw. It will be fun while it lasts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586053[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586054[/ATTACH]

Brass Head 12-27-2017 03:43 PM

Plastic: arrrgh. Progress is a crock. I repaired the mounting flange on a plastic gear once by smirping epoxy on it, then wrapping monofilament around the whole mess, embedding the line in the glue. It stayed put, but I wouldn't like to see this "technique" used on a device for overhead lifting. Then too, it might have stayed put without all my shadetree shenanigans. Is that a cam?

leonf 12-27-2017 04:13 PM

It is on the bobbin drive shaft. and yea, I think the cam is to some feed dog bits.

Cari-in-Oly 12-27-2017 06:14 PM

This is an 80s machine, after necchi stopped producing machines in Italy. There are still lots of these out there. The fB is the flat bed version, there's also the FA free arm. Janome makes the current Necchi machines. Cari

leonf 12-28-2017 07:14 AM

Thanks Cari, I don't know Necchi history, yet.

leonf 12-28-2017 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
O[ATTACH=CONFIG]586117[/ATTACH]ne more picture. Drive belt system. Scratching my head over this.

J3General 12-28-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 7971039)
O[ATTACH=CONFIG]586117[/ATTACH]ne more picture. Drive belt system. Scratching my head over this.

Wow, the manufacturer could have designed it with one belt, eliminated the extra pulley, simplified the brackets, used some of the savings on machining the cracked plastic piece out of metal, and put change in his pocket! Plus had a happy customer.

John Thomas in NC

themadpatter 12-28-2017 08:59 PM

I'd love to hear what you think of its performance, as I am a Necchi aficionado but I have only metal ones. How about a little movie showing it running? Pleeeeease?

themadpatter 12-28-2017 09:07 PM

About the double belts- I read somewhere that gives it more power. Can't remember where I read it. Now consulting with resident engineer for the edumacated opinion. Ahhh, yes. The belt from the motor goes to a larger gear, which slows the rpms, but increases the torque, and this effect is replicated by the second belt to the handwheel. So, it gives it a lot more torque, which makes it able to punch the needle through thick stuff better. So, there we have the Reader's Digest and Encyclopedia Britannica versions.