Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   So this is how it starts huh? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/so-how-starts-huh-t231003.html)

manicmike 09-24-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller (Post 6312219)
This is the Kenmore I turned up at GW - slightly earlier
Also one of the Artisan walking foot I've set up for a leather project.
And with that you've seen them all - save for the plastic White

You've done really well Lew. That walking foot machine machine would be incredibly useful. I have to "make do" with a 201 + walking foot attachment for upholstery work. Industrials are just too large for my tiny house (so I bought 20 domestics instead - yes, makes plenty of sense!)

EDIT: When people hear about your new "hobby" they'll start offering you that old machine they never use, etc. Before you know it you'll be a sewing machine technician

Lew Schiller 09-24-2013 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=manicmike;6312239]You've done really well Lew. That walking foot machine machine would be incredibly useful. I have to "make do" with a 201 + walking foot attachment for upholstery work. Industrials are just too large for my tiny house (so I bought 20 domestics instead - yes, makes plenty of sense!)

Well..it started with the Kenmores but then I went on the hunt for a walker to work leather. Not wanting to spend a lot I went to the other place where America Shops for Value...Craigslist. When I'm on an acquisition mission I tend to start playing CL like a slot machine. Checking every 5 minutes - or so it seems.

You start looking in that direction so of course you hit the net for information. You come across sites and threads that contain these beautiful machines. The Japanese Machine thread here - for example. Simple machines that are totally taken for granted yet are some of the most complex devices in one's house. Machines that don't require an acre of storage space!

First the Artisan popped up. Seller bought it from an Uncle in new Mexico who's in the upholstery business. He'd bought two of them and hadn't much used this one so he sold it to his nephew from whom I bought it. The timing had wandered off and he didn't want to deal with taking it in for service.
I was lucky caller #1 and bought it for $250. Another $250 for professional repair and a Servo Motor plus the leather dog and feet from Artisan and it's good to go. Not the machine for three layers of 10 oz but perfectly capable for my needs. The servo motor slows it down to a crawl which is in keeping with my skill level.

Once a big honkin' Craigslist habit kicks in the whole thing takes on a life of its own.
First the Atlas - then the Dressmaker - now the Universal which is in stunning condition.
But - the sellers of all of them had them on CL for weeks before I came along. Shows you that
A: I'm a sucker for a pretty machine
and
B: There isn't a whole lot of demand.

As for acquiring technical ability - I'm up for that! I could use a good later life skill set that incorporates what I've already been able to glean along the way working on things mechanical :-)

amcatanzaro 09-24-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6312239)
You've done really well Lew. That walking foot machine machine would be incredibly useful. I have to "make do" with a 201 + walking foot attachment for upholstery work. Industrials are just too large for my tiny house (so I bought 20 domestics instead - yes, makes plenty of sense!)

EDIT: When people hear about your new "hobby" they'll start offering you that old machine they never use, etc. Before you know it you'll be a sewing machine technician

Oh goodness yes. I'm getting my great-grandfather's 15-31 once I have two people to take it out of the basement. My aunt has one of underdetermined lineage in her basement for me. Friends of the family have another "old black Singer" they would love for me to have (again, waiting on the digging). It's like I'm made out of magnets and they are just winging their way here.

Lew Schiller 09-24-2013 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 6312369)
Oh goodness yes. I'm getting my great-grandfather's 15-31 once I have two people to take it out of the basement. My aunt has one of underdetermined lineage in her basement for me. Friends of the family have another "old black Singer" they would love for me to have (again, waiting on the digging). It's like I'm made out of magnets and they are just winging their way here.

An embarrassment of riches - so to speak :-)
This recently popped up on CL - I'm not sure but it really looks like the Singer my mom had when I was little.
Must....Not....Call...........

Monroe 09-24-2013 07:59 PM

Picked up that phone yet? You're in deep now- the Siren Call of the unloved machines has you hogtied. Craigslist has been my "downfall" too, but also a great source of information, misinformation, and just plain laughs at the craziness of those who think Old = Gold, no matter the condition.

Lew Schiller 09-24-2013 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 6312382)
Picked up that phone yet? You're in deep now- the Siren Call of the unloved machines has you hogtied. Craigslist has been my "downfall" too, but also a great source of information, misinformation, and just plain laughs at the craziness of those who think Old = Gold, no matter the condition.

No...don't need it nor do I have a place for it. Like that cabinet though...

As for laughs...that would be this SewMor for which the proud owner wants $225. Needless to say it caught my eye but hokey smokes...somebody's been spending too much time watching the Pickers.

Sunflowerzz 09-24-2013 09:12 PM

Yep, That is how it started for me only three weeks ago. I now have 6 new to me vintage machines and 6 cabinets and 1 industrial table from the 1930's I think.

I have been told buying vintage machines is addictive and it is a bug called "vintage sewing machine fever". Once you get it you will have it forever, and have to move to a larger home with a barn and several out buildings and a few studios and shop buildings so you can repair, paint, and refurbish the machines and cabinets and have room for all of the poor little darling orphaned machines and cabinets you save from miserable conditions of uncaring, unloved and unused homes. :)

manicmike 09-24-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller (Post 6312366)
Once a big honkin' Craigslist habit kicks in the whole thing takes on a life of its own.

For Aussies eBay's alternative is Gumtree, although I've probably bought about half on eBay, half on Gumtree.

That lovely tan machine in the cabinet seems like a 206. I have a real fondness for this type, which includes the 306, 319 and 320. They use a special needle (206x13) but can do almost any pattern of stitch. The 319 has several built in too, meaning you can select a combination. Miriam started a great thread a while ago about her 319. The cabinet it's in is amazing: I'd love to have that one at my place. You need to ignore it when people say things like "Picked up that phone yet?" but... have you? Ha ha! With that cabinet I think I'd be just weak enough to say "to hell with the consequences".

amcatanzaro, a work colleague offered me her grandma's machine a few weeks ago. I haven't seen it but it sounds like a 201. I know they're fantastic, but I already have three!

Regarding the prices, yes they fluctuate really stupidly, hence the "what are they smoking" thread. In this Internet age it astonishes me that so many people still do minimal or no market (or any) research!
I think you're now attuned to seeing old machines and if you wait, you'll find them everywhere. Those Japanese machines from the '50s are a great one to collect: They're really good quality and generally extremely cheap.

You should still get the 206, though ;)

Sideways 09-25-2013 02:10 AM

It does kind of sneak up on you Lew! I picked up machines that I thought were just decorative items for my sewing room years ago and what I really picked up were a 99K and a 15-91. So I must have been interested then. But I was busy raising children and working.

Then I started coming here and one day I was on ruby lane and saw a blue class 15 clone and I had to have it and I have been helplessly ,hopelessly but happily lost since then! It's a wonderful way to go!

deedum 09-25-2013 03:49 AM

Yes, this is addicting. I have 9 or 10 machines and don't need anymore. At least that is what my dear hubby says. I love all my machines. Still haven't found my featherweight. It just doesn't stop.