Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Someone offered me a featherweight... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/someone-offered-me-featherweight-t202834.html)

Kittywolf13 10-11-2012 08:26 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see it friday after work. It will be my birthday present to myself if it works/looks good. I'll check the bobbin case especially. Does anyone have any pics to know what I'm looking at? I've never seen one in person. Thanks!

quiltgal 10-11-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 (Post 5575692)
...for 250. Complete with case, accessories. He told me it belonged to his great grandmother and she rarely/never used it. Then it sat in his closet ever since. He said that another family member took her cabinet. (i assume after g.grandma passed) It looks to be in nice condition from the pics he showed me. He said it runs and smells like the original oil? Is this a good thing? (I'm most concerned by that comment.)

My local antique shop says they have them between 275-375 depending on condition and accessories. And there is one on Craigslist listed as mint for 850! I did see some listed on the evil bay for 150 and up but convience of no shipping and fear of breaking makes me less inclined to save a buck. Besides this is the originally family.

Good bad? What do you guys think? Did I mention it's my birthday Saturday?

If it has been closed up for any amount of time, it will smell like oil. Not a problem! When I get one in to fix, I start by putting a bunch of used dryer sheets in the case and that helps a lot to get rid of the smell. Check my website for items that you might need. www.thequiltgal.com

Candace 10-11-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 (Post 5578031)
Thanks everyone. I'm going to see it friday after work. It will be my birthday present to myself if it works/looks good. I'll check the bobbin case especially. Does anyone have any pics to know what I'm looking at? I've never seen one in person. Thanks!

Use Google and you'll find lots of photos.

Daylesewblessed 10-11-2012 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a Featherweight bobbin case.

Concerning the smell -- the first thing I would do is to remove the bottom of the machine and replace the felt drip pad. It can be really rank. You can cut a new one from felt type material and slip it in place. The other source of bad smell can be the machine case itself. People have offered you deodorizing solutions for that problem.

Let us know tomorrow how it goes when you try it out.

Dayle

Kittywolf13 10-11-2012 01:43 PM

Thank you so much guys! I'm very excited to go see it tomorrow. I'm assuming the manual will tell me how to access all of this right? Hahaha!

lynnie 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

Congrats, you deserve it. Got mine last friday, need time to ck it all out.
everyone here talked me into her. She was born dec5,1939 and luckily, doesnt smell at all.
her case is in excellent condition and all of her accessories are thee. The only problem,
She birds nests, but someone here pointed me in the right direction to get her fixed up and running
i got her for $240.00 down from$275. No tax
I hope you have many years with her.

vintagemotif 10-11-2012 02:13 PM

Buy it! you will be happy.

Kittywolf13 10-11-2012 04:20 PM

i cant wait till tomorrow! There are other things i SHOULD be doing and all i can do is browse around the internet looking at antique sewing machines... i SO have the bug.

csharp 10-11-2012 05:43 PM

I too, live in SW Fl. but I have never run across a FW here in any of the local antique shops or flea markets, but we are new here and haven't been to all places. Did get a Singer redeye 66 at Bonita Springs lately and really love it. It joined the vintage 99 and FW I had here. I sure wouldn't pass on it if I were you. Easy to fix up and lovely to use. Enjoy!

Kittywolf13 10-11-2012 05:47 PM

if your looking for a featherweight check out Gannon's antique's on 41 in between fort myers and naples! (it's across the street from a large goodwill) i find their prices pretty reasonable and they just put some featherweights out in the 275-375 bracket. i called to gauge prices for this one that was offered to me. I CANT wait to go see it tomorrow and most likely bring it home!